Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Contentious Conference in Newcastle

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Contentious Conference in Newcastle

Youth Defence disputes convention

YOUTH DEFENCE and its sister organisation in Northern Ireland Precious Life have called on the management of the Slieve Donard Hotel in Newcastle, Co Down, to cancel a major conference on abortion that is scheduled to take place next Friday.
    Had heard of Youth Defence but not Precious Life.

It'll be interesting to see the DUP and SF response to this.

“Abortion is illegal in this country and the conference organisers and the hotel must respect that,”
    said Katie Robinson of Youth Defence.
    Abortion is legal - in certain circumstances - in Northern Ireland.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK so they support free speech but they want the conference cancelled . How does that work ?
    They may claim to be doing Gods work . I contend that God would never employ such idiots .

Politics.ie Member fluffykontbiscuits's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Youth Defence disputes convention

Had heard of Youth Defence but not Precious Life.

It'll be interesting to see the DUP and SF response to this.

Abortion is legal - in certain circumstances - in Northern Ireland.
    I signed up Cruimh for the the YDF's newsletter for a laugh and all I can tell you is that they are interesting IMO! Laughable Catlick mumbo jumbo and hilarious takes on scientific studies!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Someone should mail them and explain that they won't actually be carrying out abortions during the conference.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member Cabbage/Turnip's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if they claim they are doing godw work then they are implying god wanted that girl to be raped and get pregnant..(organised) religion cant survive today its mental...

Politics.ie Member fluffykontbiscuits's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage/Turnip View Post
    if they claim they are doing godw work then they are implying god wanted that girl to be raped and get pregnant..(organised) religion cant survive today its mental...
    Thats more or less is what they are implying good point...they will say free will etc. etc.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Reasonable position

Seems to me that Youth Defence's position is entirely reasonable. They oppose abortion, it's illegal in Ireland, this confernce is about training people to perform abortions (including late term ones, yuk) so Youth Defence oppose it.

That's fairly logical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UcanB View Post
    Seems to me that Youth Defence's position is entirely reasonable. They oppose abortion, it's illegal in Ireland, this confernce is about training people to perform abortions (including late term ones, yuk) so Youth Defence oppose it.

That's fairly logical.
    No, it's not logical. Terminations are legal in Northern Ireland, under certain circumstances (and they also legal in Ireland under certain circumstances as far as I know? Maybe someone else can clarify that)

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not so, Article 40.3.3 still stands in the republic. The X case ruling has never been implemented because there's no public support for abortion here. neither is there any support in the north - the recent attempt to extend the 1967 Act was opposed by most of the political parties including Sinn Fein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UcanB View Post
    Not so, Article 40.3.3 still stands in the republic. The X case ruling has never been implemented because there's no public support for abortion here. neither is there any support in the north - the recent attempt to extend the 1967 Act was opposed by most of the political parties including Sinn Fein.
    Because something hasn't been implemented doesn't mean it can't be. If I am not mistaken as the law stands in Ireland a termination is legal in certain circumstances, that is all I am saying. I am not saying they do it or they don't do it, I am saying that in certain circumstances termination is legal.

As for Northern Ireland terminations are also legal in certain circumstances as far as I know.

But lets for a second say termination was absolutely illegal in any circumstance whatsoever - life of the mother - or otherwise, then we are still left with a situation where information on termination services is legal. This is a conference, not an abortion clinic.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast