Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Labour Winning

Default Labour Winning

As one or two of my fellow party members know, I don't post much on this site anymore. What was a website of proper debate with interesting issues being raised has now just become a petty battleground for cheap points scoring (sometimes, posters don't even manage that on their tangent). I have engaged in this but after a while it becomes boring.

Especially the rehashed threads on the Labour forum. Usually it is Labour is too Left-wing or is not Left-wing at all or is too close to the Unions or will never get above X% of the vote or above X seats in the Dáil or has no policies or it is on some other lie or unfounded garbage. I have no problem with debate about Labour but at least keep it sane and/or original. For example, Labour has policies, so lets stop the crap about how we don't. Our ideas & policies » Our ideas » The Labour Party

In a way, this is encourging, as Labour support and membership grows, the attacks become more and more insane and less and less people believe the attacks on Labour, which is obliviously a good thing. However, rather then spend my time arguing the same silly attacks, I can leaflet, canvass and recruit for the Labour Party. I would suggest my fellow party members who are on this site do the same in their respective constituencies.

Any posts would be helpful?
    "Sea! Is féidir linne freisin!" Eamon Gilmore

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

The Political Compass
    Economic Left/Right: from -4.38 to -6.62
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: from -4.05 to -3.74

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by L.O. Dublin S.C. View Post
    As one or two of my fellow party members know, I don't post much on this site anymore. What was a website of proper debate with interesting issues being raised has now just become a petty battleground for cheap points scoring (sometimes, posters don't even manage that on their tangent). I have engaged in this but after a while it becomes boring.

Especially the rehashed threads on the Labour forum. Usually it is Labour is too Left-wing or is not Left-wing at all or is too close to the Unions or will never get above X% of the vote or above X seats in the Dáil or has no policies or it is on some other lie or unfounded garbage. I have no problem with debate about Labour but at least keep it sane and/or original. For example, Labour has policies, so lets stop the crap about how we don't. Our ideas & policies » Our ideas » The Labour Party

In a way, this is encourging, as Labour support and membership grows, the attacks become more and more insane and less and less people believe the attacks on Labour, which is obliviously a good thing. However, rather then spend my time arguing the same silly attacks, I can leaflet, canvass and recruit for the Labour Party. I would suggest my fellow party members who are on this site do the same in their respective constituencies.

Any posts would be helpful?
    I will be looking for the Labour candidate/s in the next election. Strange as I detest party politics.
    But, may I say that a post like this, which is mainly criticising this site, is hardly helpful to your cause. Whatever ones personal feelings are, should be kept out if you want anybody to take any notice of your main point. Therefore you should have gone straight in with your link and kept the post optimistic, pleasant and enticing. Otherwise, the casual reader will think you're not one bit better than the two main parties - dour, corrupt, greedy and rather stupid.
    BECAUSE SOME OF US DON'T THINK ABOUT FUTURE GENERATIONS, THEY WILL NEVER FORGET US! https://www.vimeo.com/8668733 'Pipe Down' Corrib gas documentary 2009

You were missed like a bad smell.

Funny you came back so quickly and then tell us you were away.

Its not like we CARE.

Quote Originally Posted by junius View Post
    I will be looking for the Labour candidate/s in the next election. Strange as I detest party politics.
    But, may I say that a post like this, which is mainly criticising this site, is hardly helpful to your cause. Whatever ones personal feelings are, should be kept out if you want anybody to take any notice of your main point. Therefore you should have gone straight in with your link and kept the post optimistic, pleasant and enticing. Otherwise, the casual reader will think you're not one bit better than the two main parties - dour, corrupt, greedy and rather stupid.
    Dour - Maybe about the issues I have raised but nothing outside of that. Corrupt - How? Greedy - Again, how? Rather Stupid -If that is for putting this site in a bad light, then I'll make it clearer by saying that it isn't the site that is the problem, it is the same boring posters putting up the same boring crap that is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post
    You were missed like a bad smell.

Funny you came back so quickly and then tell us you were away.

Its not like we CARE.
    You care. I know you do.

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

The Political Compass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It seems labour is doing just fine, their policy on ambiguity is going down a treat with the electorate, it seems onwards and upwards for the Gilmore Gael.

Quote Originally Posted by sport02 View Post
    It seems labour is doing just fine, their policy on ambiguity is going down a treat with the electorate, it seems onwards and upwards for the Gilmore Gael.
    Exactly the kind of crap I'm talking about.

The Political Compass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Labour were always the likely destination of the disenchanted Bertie generation. Gillmore has played his hand very well in appealing to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by L.O. Dublin S.C. View Post
    Exactly the kind of crap I'm talking about.
    Specifically where do Labour stand on re-negotiating the amont liable to the state, with regards to the bondholders.
    I have heard Leo Vradkar say it is Fine Gael policy, to try limit the amount of financial exposure to the Irish taxpayer, from what I have seen, Labour seem to be wishy washy.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't wait to have Labour in power..in fact with the appalling Governments we've had under Ahern and Cowen you should be running this country by now...

here's a tip : proposing to borrow even MORE money to build Soviet style roads to nowhere - as Gilmore proposed on natonal radio last week - is only going to scare off the voters.

try to come up with the theme that everyone can identify with - such as the elimination of gombeenism in Irish politics. Grow some backbone and put out huge hints that if Labour ever win a majority we will see the likes of Bertie and Cowen in the dock, and JAILED.

think bigger picture on the kind of Republic you want to have in the future rather than crazy Soviet policies that make no sense whatsoever economically. Think more about enforcement of the law and making it apply to everyone , no matter what their status.

We have folks getting jailed over unpaid 200 euro fines, and meanwhile Seanie Fitz is allowed to run off from Anglo with millions in his wife's bank account. There is a huge sense of injustice in that - and you just need to tap into it.

Equality under the law is a major topic that is coming up again and again. And since this notion of "equality" is a big plank of Labour philosophy , its all there for the taking , if you manage it right and get the correct message out.

But please -no more borrowing to build Soviet roads to nowhere - we're not stupid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast