Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaeltacht Quarter in Belfast now- next Derry!!!

Politics.ie Member Darren J. Prior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gaeltacht Quarter in Belfast now- next Derry!!!

I interviewed Donnacha Mac Niallais from Cultúrlann Uí Chánain the Irish Language Cultural Centre in Derry for Near90fm last month where we in part discussed the plan of An Gaeláras (situated in An Chultúrlann) to turn part of Derry City into a Gaeltacht Quarter like the area around the Falls Road in Belfast is now.

More detail is available on An Chultúrlann's website:

"An Gaeláras is now pioneering another phase in the development of the language in Derry by establishing an Irish language quarter, an Cheathrú Ghaeltachta, situated in the Creggan, Bogside and Brandywell districts of the city and stretching from the Cultúrlann in Gt James Street through the Bogside to Gaelscoil Éadain Mhóir in the Brandywell and up to Creggan.

The project will seek to encourage, foster and instill pride among residents in the rich history and culture of the neighbourhood by: * enhancing the physical environment of the area through the erection of Irish language and bi-lingual signage in partnership with community, business and statutory organisations; * developing a unique cultural tourism product in collaboration with Free Derry Tours, Free Derry Museum, TRIAX, Dove House, Bogside & Brandywell Initiative, Gaelscoil Éadain Mhóir, the People’s Gallery, NITB, Derry City Council, and others. * maximising economic opportunities for local residents, businesses and others provided by the cluster of Irish language and cultural groups within the area;

This project will only succeed with the support and active participation of the residents, community organisations and businesses of the Creggan, Bogside and Brandywell areas. Give us your views, thoughts and suggestions on how you can be part of this latest phase in the revival of the Irish language locally."

So what are your views, thoughts and suggestions on this? I understand that the plan is a long-term plan so it won't happen for another few years but should, I'd say, be no more than several years away.

I love the idea and hope we will eventually have a Gaeltacht Quarter in other Irish cities.
    Blog | Youtube | Mixcloud | Podchraoltaí Gaeilge Near FM | #Think32 #Éire32 #Gaeilge #FreeEducation #Gaeloideachas #PublicHealth #IRLdev #GlobalHealth #GlobalDev #BanHunting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's a great idea. My Irish is useless but it's SO important to preserve our heritage.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

there's a similar plan for a gealtacht community in Ballymun, Dublin. In my opinion urban gealtachats are the way forward for the language, the state policy of confining them to the most rural/isolated parts of the country is detrimental to the language

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    there's a similar plan for a gealtacht community in Ballymun, Dublin. In my opinion urban gealtachats are the way forward for the language, the state policy of confining them to the most rural/isolated parts of the country is detrimental to the language
    Yes, I for forgot about that one. I think the one in Derry is for a Gaeltacht Quarter and the one in Ballymun is for an acutal Gaeltacht, if there is any difference between them. I think Glór na nGael are working on the campaign in Ballymun. I saw a news item on Nuacht TG4 on the question a while back but I haven't heard anything since. The Joint Oireachtas Committee that published recommendations on the 20 Year Strategy for the Irish Language published 33 recommendations but the idea of setting up new gaeltachtaí or Gaeltacht Quarters was not one of them. I don't think that any Irish language organisations unfortunately made a presentation to the committee suggesting that we should have them... pity...
    Blog | Youtube | Mixcloud | Podchraoltaí Gaeilge Near FM | #Think32 #Éire32 #Gaeilge #FreeEducation #Gaeloideachas #PublicHealth #IRLdev #GlobalHealth #GlobalDev #BanHunting

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren J. Prior View Post
    I interviewed Donnacha Mac Niallais from Cultúrlann Uí Chánain the Irish Language Cultural Centre in Derry for Near90fm last month where we in part discussed the plan of An Gaeláras (situated in An Chultúrlann) to turn part of Derry City into a Gaeltacht Quarter like the area around the Falls Road in Belfast is now.

More detail is available on An Chultúrlann's website:

"An Gaeláras is now pioneering another phase in the development of the language in Derry by establishing an Irish language quarter, an Cheathrú Ghaeltachta, situated in the Creggan, Bogside and Brandywell districts of the city and stretching from the Cultúrlann in Gt James Street through the Bogside to Gaelscoil Éadain Mhóir in the Brandywell and up to Creggan.

The project will seek to encourage, foster and instill pride among residents in the rich history and culture of the neighbourhood by: * enhancing the physical environment of the area through the erection of Irish language and bi-lingual signage in partnership with community, business and statutory organisations; * developing a unique cultural tourism product in collaboration with Free Derry Tours, Free Derry Museum, TRIAX, Dove House, Bogside & Brandywell Initiative, Gaelscoil Éadain Mhóir, the People’s Gallery, NITB, Derry City Council, and others. * maximising economic opportunities for local residents, businesses and others provided by the cluster of Irish language and cultural groups within the area;

This project will only succeed with the support and active participation of the residents, community organisations and businesses of the Creggan, Bogside and Brandywell areas. Give us your views, thoughts and suggestions on how you can be part of this latest phase in the revival of the Irish language locally."

So what are your views, thoughts and suggestions on this? I understand that the plan is a long-term plan so it won't happen for another few years but should, I'd say, be no more than several years away.

I love the idea and hope we will eventually have a Gaeltacht Quarter in other Irish cities.
    If they won't speak Irish we'll force it on them ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren J. Prior View Post
    Yes, I for forgot about that one. I think the one in Derry is for a Gaeltacht Quarter and the one in Ballymun is for an acutal Gaeltacht, if there is any difference between them. I think Glór na nGael are working on the campaign in Ballymun. I saw a news item on Nuacht TG4 on the question a while back but I haven't heard anything since. The Joint Oireachtas Committee that published recommendations on the 20 Year Strategy for the Irish Language published 33 recommendations but the idea of setting up new gaeltachtaí or Gaeltacht Quarters was not one of them. I don't think that any Irish language organisations unfortunately made a presentation to the committee suggesting that we should have them... pity...
    My Irish is also poor, I'm typical of so many people, always thinking of improving it but never get around to it. It's good to hear of Belfast and Derry and Ballymun. I believe that Gaelscoil's in city's tend to be in the working class areas. Well anything that improves the numbers speaking the language is good, maybe urban Gaeltacht's are the way to go. And also people are arranging Irish conversation nights in a local pub which is also good. Still reckon the Gaelscoil's are the future of the language but anything helps.

Now how long before the trolls andf ofcourse the orangies come along and say it's a waste of time and money and would be better spent on German, French etc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm curious as to how successful the Gaeltacht in the Falls Road area of Belfast has been?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    If they won't speak Irish we'll force it on them ....
    How do you force a language on a people?

Well other than getting all medi-evil and cutting the tongues out of peoples heads
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    How do you force a language on a people?
    Pressure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The citizens of nationalist West Belfast are planning a revolution I hear about the Falls Road being turned into a Gaeltacht Quarter. They are going to seize An Chultúrlann there as their headquarters...

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast