Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Labour for and against Metro North

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Labour for and against Metro North

Well they are at it again. Playing the populism card and trying to appeal to as many people as possible without coming down on one side or the other.

Gilmore says Metro North should be put on hold. Others in the front bench say it should go ahead. And everyone else is left confused and wondering which is it.

Of course Gilomore has form on this. He was for the Croke Park agreement and against it.

They have no policy on the bank guarantee other than to oppose it completely, a very populist measure no doubt, but since they were not in government it is easy to be opportunist about it and oppose the guarantee. Had the government not put in place the guanantee, the country would have collapsed and the IMF called in.

Is it any wonder no-one knows what Labour stand for when they are in favour and oppose most things.

Populism without policies in a time of recession, not what the country needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Already a thread on this.

Labour transport spokesman Joe Costello was on News at One about Labour policy on Metro North.

Through all his waffling, I took it he was trying to gently row back on Gilmore's comment on Finucane on Saturday and give Labour wriggle room for when they get into govt. It was now up for review like all Transport 21 projects, including Luas BXD, Metro West and the Dart Interconnector (Dart Underground).

But the way he was talking about MN told me he was as clueless as Gilmore on the matter - and was basing his comments on reading Kevin Myers and P.ie.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anewbeginning View Post

Gilmore says Metro North should be put on hold. Others in the front bench say it should go ahead.
    Who?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Jack View Post
    Already a thread on this.

Labour transport spokesman Joe Costello was on News at One about Labour policy on Metro North.

Through all his waffling, I took it he was trying to gently row back on Gilmore's comment on Finucane on Saturday and give Labour wriggle room for when they get into govt. It was now up for review like all Transport 21 projects, including Luas BXD, Metro West and the Dart Interconnector (Dart Underground).

But the way he was talking about MN told me he was as clueless as Gilmore on the matter - and was basing his comments on reading Kevin Myers and P.ie.
    If Kenny performed the way Costello did and the way Gilmore has waffled on this issue and others such as the Croke Park agreement, he would be slaughtered in the media.

Of course Gilmore can do no wrong.

I still don't know what the Labour position is on MN. But like you say they gave themselves wriggle room. Gilmore has the anti MN side covered, and it's left to Joe Costello and Joan Burton to cover the other side of the argument.

So both sides of the argument covered, great stuff.

Any other issue they have both sides covered? Apart from Croke Park Agreement? And Dail pairings? ie, they never off a pair, yet jump at the chance when there is publicity involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's the other thread on the matter.

http://www.politics.ie/transport/139...tro-north.html

I think people are beginning to wake up to Bertie Gilmore and his spoofing - let's just hope they have their coffee before their election rather than the cold shower the Irish people end up with after falling for Ahern's bullsh1t three times.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

does labour have a policy on anything? or just vague aspirations. I got some election propoganda in my letter box a while back from them. I have no idea what they're for and against but alot of opinionated waffle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Uncanny resembalance:

and....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So has Gilmore decided to support MN going ahead next year or not? He's been very quiet on the issue since Saturday. Maybe he's waiting to see which way the public mood is going on this one. He's flown the kite, now waiting to see what will happen.

Great leadership there from Gilmore! I hope he doesn't dither like this when in government.

It's easy to play both sides when in opposition, not so easy in government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anewbeginning View Post
    So has Gilmore decided to support MN going ahead next year or not? He's been very quiet on the issue since Saturday. Maybe he's waiting to see which way the public mood is going on this one. He's flown the kite, now waiting to see what will happen.

Great leadership there from Gilmore! I hope he doesn't dither like this when in government.

It's easy to play both sides when in opposition, not so easy in government.
    Can you stick to the other thread on this as I've just posted an interesting update from Fine Gael deputy leader James Reilly.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast