Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Origins of Sectarian Insults

Politics.ie Member Northern Voice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Origins of Sectarian Insults

I hope people can remain civil in this thread. I'm interested in the origins of certain terms used to insult either community in Northern Ireland. Most of us know where the likes of 'fenian' comes from (19th C. Irish revolutionaries) as well as 'hun' (Queen's German ancestry). A couple I am not sure of, however, are 'black b*****d' and 'taig'? Maybe somebody could enlighten me. No childish nonsense, please. Plenty of other threads for that.
    Ulster Abu!

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If they don't remain civil, they'll be banned permanently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Taig:
    Taig - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

had a neighbour who used to call everything that was annoying her a "black bastard"....if the car wouldn't start it was called it, if the kids mis-behaved they were called it.
    One day, he bath sprung a leak, so she called it "A black enamel bastard"........so funny I still use it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not sure about 'hun'.Thought it related to the Celtic/Rangers rivalry and originated from a English newspaper's description of the behaviour of travelling Rangers fans.More recently it has been borrowed and used as an overtly sectarian label
    Last edited by Simply; 4th October 2010 at 02:44 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I always thought "black bastard" referred to the Black Preceptory, as they were seen as the social elite within Unionism - big farmers and landowners, minor gentry, businessmen, retired army officers and so on (dunno if this still holds) and therefore the people who really pulled the strings under the Old Stormont regime.

You can to some extent excuse some knuckle-dragger uneducated Loyalist from some ghetto on the grounds they don't know any better, but wealthy educated people are supposed to know better, so when they go out of their way to design and prop up a corrupt discriminatory regime, they really are bastards.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Always liked the subtle distinction contained in Brendan Behan's 'horse Protestant'.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    I always thought "black bastard" referred to the Black Preceptory, as they were seen as the social elite within Unionism - big farmers and landowners, minor gentry, businessmen, retired army officers and so on (dunno if this still holds) and therefore the people who really pulled the strings under the Old Stormont regime.

You can to some extent excuse some knuckle-dragger uneducated Loyalist from some ghetto on the grounds they don't know any better, but wealthy educated people are supposed to know better, so when they go out of their way to design and prop up a corrupt discriminatory regime, they really are bastards.
    Black is widely used in a pejorative sense - and collectively for the North to include both protestants and RCs.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What's with 'Tim' Its not that popular as a name among Catholics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jaffa is another.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member Northern Voice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cheers for the replies, RBP one is quite interesting.
    Ulster Abu!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast