Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: European Commission to probe McCreevy

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Ulster-Lad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dún na nGall
    Posts
    10,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default European Commission to probe McCreevy

    The European Commission is investigating the appointment of former Commissioner Charlie McCreevy to NBNK Investments, which is buying up distressed banking assets.

    It is examining whether Mr MrCreevy's involvement poses a conflict of interest and whether the appointment falls within the Commission's Code of Conduct.

    Last week, the European Parliament's Budget Committee voted to freeze the salaries and allowances of European Commissioners unless urgent changes are made to the Code of Conduct.
    European Commission to probe McCreevy appointment | BreakingNews.ie

    I wonder how long their probe will take and what they come up with? Is gombeenism in there some where?
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere between Akureyri and Ushuaia
    Posts
    8,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Former Commissioner who championed deregulation is now involved with a company "buying up distressed banking assets". This sounds like the plot from a bad first novel.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Ulster-Lad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dún na nGall
    Posts
    10,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    NBNK is thought to be considering a move for AIB's UK operations, which may be sold in the coming months.

    McCreevy joined the board of NBNK, headed up by the former Lloyds chairman Lord Levene, just before it floated on London's Aim market in August. The company raised close to E60m in working capital when it floated.
    BUSINESS WORLD - EU probes McCreevy's new bank job

    Do they really think he may know anything about AIB?
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Ulster-Lad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dún na nGall
    Posts
    10,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    bump
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    12,331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    bump
    Won't work, Lad - you've confused the eurosceptics, because they're also nearly all ABFFers and anti-elitists. There's a narrative problem - the conflict of interests here makes it almost impossible for p.ie's usual black and white support groups to latch onto the story.
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member WTTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Watcher, Paul Henry
    Posts
    5,250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FakeViking View Post
    Former Commissioner who championed deregulation is now involved with a company "buying up distressed banking assets". This sounds like the plot from a bad first novel.
    Don't forget the definition of an "honest politician"?
    No warning can save a people determined to grow suddenly rich. - Lord Overstone.
    Hadn't met any Irish people that were afraid of anything - Christine Lagarde. 2008.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FakeViking View Post
    Former Commissioner who championed deregulation is now involved with a company "buying up distressed banking assets". This sounds like the plot from a bad first novel.
    Why has more attention not been paid to this fact?

    Banking deregulation was an EU directive. Banking regulation was in the charge of the ECB. Any Banking problems caused by deregulation are the responsibility of the EU and the ECB and not the Irish Taxpayer.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MPB View Post
    Why has more attention not been paid to this fact?

    Banking deregulation was an EU directive. Banking regulation was in the charge of the ECB. Any Banking problems caused by deregulation are the responsibility of the EU and the ECB and not the Irish Taxpayer.
    IFSRA was responsible for regulating the banks in Ireland. No point in blaming the ECB because they were asleep at the wheel.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    911
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I wouldn't be surprised if this has legs.
    Most comment I have heard suggests he was loathed in Europe, they being clever enough to spot within weeks what we didn't in 30 years.
    Namely that he is a talentless, lazy, short cutting spoofer.
    So the will might be there to pursue this.

    A gobdaw of the highest order and would be recognised as such but for the fact that Ahern was even worse.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Pauli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pfäffikon, Kanton Schwyz, Switzerland.
    Posts
    1,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anorakphobia View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if this has legs.
    Most comment I have heard suggests he was loathed in Europe, they being clever enough to spot within weeks what we didn't in 30 years.
    Namely that he is a talentless, lazy, short cutting spoofer.
    So the will might be there to pursue this.

    A gobdaw of the highest order and would be recognised as such but for the fact that Ahern was even worse.
    He was definitely disliked intensely in Germany for two reasons. His hubris in telling the Germans to modernise their economy to make it more like Ireland's was seen as the fatuous nonsense that it was. Then, as European Commissioner, he managed to piss themn off again by trying to regulate Bausparkassen (a German mortgage bank construct) out of existence against the will of the Germans. As you say, Anorak, this could have legs.
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •