Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: “Blind and Pathetic” Lenihan is found out by the Bond Markets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default “Blind and Pathetic” Lenihan is found out by the Bond Markets.

While corrupt bertie is whoring himself out for a ghost written article in a tabloid rag, the man he wishes dead explains how lenihan has doomed us all.

No hope for blind optimism | The Post

The Cowen/Lenihan government - which has been wrong about everything on the economy - is putting its faith in blind optimism.
    This is blind and pathetic optimism, because it is based on the same three-card trick, the same bluff and gamble that got us here in the first place. In short, they have learnt nothing at all.
    Look where the ‘we are turning the corner’ self help optimism of this government has got us.
    My money says we will be in the European Stabilisation Fund by St Patrick’s Day and that Mr Commissioner will be running the show. This is where this touchy-feely optimism will get us.
    "WAKE UP! THE RICH ARE RAPING YOU!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd take issue with DMCW on this quote:

The banks will be zombies and the economy will continue to contract.
    What the hell does he mean, 'will be zombies'?

They're the very definition of zombies already. There is no way on earth that any of these institutions will start to look like a normal bank within the next ten years - the whole premise of NAMA and the recaps is utterly without foundation.

Lenihan is a drowning man wearing a lifejacket made of concrete - that in itself is fine but the rest of us are attached to this lunatic who is too proud\stupid to even countenance the mere possibility that he might be wrong.

DMCW's point about reversing strategy on Anglo is very valid. It's 'too big to save' (©Morgan Kelly), the markets know that.
    “'retail deposit flight, I don't see that as a great danger. Ireland is an island” - Brian Lenihan - to hundreds of international investors

When Bertie became Taoiseach in 1997 our total debt was less than €200 Billion. After joining the Euro the tsunami of credit flooded the nation sending debt levels to the best part of a trillion Euro by 2007.

And bertie studied at the London School of Economics. Was he out having a leak when they were doing the Monetary policy and interest rates lecture?
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Syndrome View Post
    And bertie studied at the London School of Economics.
    Well no, he didn't actually. Neither did he study at UCD. Infacta the man had absolutely no qualifications in any branch of anything remotely resembling finance, accountancy, bookkeeping - or indeed anything else.

He used to count the cars in the carpark of the Mater before he became a TD. That's it. That's all he was.

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    Well no, he didn't actually. Neither did he study at UCD. Infacta the man had absolutely no qualifications in any branch of anything remotely resembling finance, accountancy, bookkeeping - or indeed anything else.

He used to count the cars in the carpark of the Mater before he became a TD. That's it. That's all he was.
    To be fair, having a good education doesn't seem to matter when you look at our current mess. Many people working in and for the government were well educated and experts in their chosen fields. Yet they still didn't see this coming nor have they a clue about what to do with our current situation.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern man’s existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Heneberry View Post
    To be fair, having a good education doesn't seem to matter when you look at our current mess. Many people working in and for the government were well educated and experts in their chosen fields. Yet they still didn't see this coming nor have they a clue about what to do with our current situation.
    I don't actually agree with you here but in any case, whatever you think, pretending you were educated somewhere you were not most certainly is not the mark of a statesman.
    Economic Left/Right: 0.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post

In fairness I think he was in UCD. There used to be discos in the bar there in the 1970s. As for LSE, he passed by it once when he was in London for a soccer match.
    Negative equity, unemployment, emigration, IMF, bankruptcy: brought to you by Fianna Fail - destroying millions of lives for 80 years.

My money says we will be in the European Stabilisation Fund by St Patrick’s Day and that Mr Commissioner will be running the show.
    Is this the same David McWilliams who predicted 7 of the past 5 economic crices? The same man who advocated leaving the Euro? I have a massive issue with populist celebrity economists.

I'm going to remember the above quote as the latest in a raft of inaccurate prophecies. And what will happen come March and Ireland won't be drawing from the ECB fund? Absolutely nothing. Because thats the essence of it.

The man can say and do as he likes because there will be ansolutely no consequences of his actions. He's never had to make a serious decision in his life. I'd dread to think where we'd be had we followed his irrational logic.

Its also deeply hypocritical of McWilliams to criticise Lenihan on his 'we're turnin a corner' statement when McWilliams has made far more hollow predictions.

As I said, I'll be waiting with bated breath on 17th March.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Correct - but pretending that one has such an education when they are already inhabiting the highest office in the land tells you something about the person.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No they aren't at all educated or experts in their chosen fields. By comparison, almost every equivalent of our ministers in Germany have PhDs, whereas our ministers have at best a law degree (lenihan, and I think 1 other minister). Most of our government are underqualified and represent the "common man" which unfortunately meant that people with PhDs or high level qualifications are excluded from mainstream political life.

Irish people show they don't like edumacation or dam dayr folks wid de fancy dagrease. The German cabinet is composed of almost entirely PhDs. They saw this crisis coming and had far greater restrictions on credit. Our government is unqualified and unrepresentative, and unfortunately, the people with advanced qualifications who would be qualified to run Ireland are not here because Ireland embraces the stupid assbackwards idiots just so they can feel comfortable havign a pint with someone and don't offend anyone.

This entire crisis is like watching My Super Sweet Sixteen played out in politics, because too many idiots in the country spend too much time trying to be like idiot Americans.
    Last edited by jimmyfour; 4th October 2010 at 02:40 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast