Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: We were never meant to know how much our President spent mourning a dead Pope

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default We were never meant to know how much our President spent mourning a dead Pope

They say that news is something that someone somewhere does not want the public to know. We were never meant to know how much public money President McAleese spent mourning the dead Pope John Paul 11. Thanks to Ken Foxe of the Sunday Tribune we know more than we were supposed to know. Someone somewhere is not happy about this.

All records relating to President McAleese are supposed to be exempt from legislation governing freedom of information and are not available to the public.

THE Department of Health has said it will not comment on any contacts between itself and Áras an Uachtaráin over the inadvertent release of expenses relating to President Mary McAleese.

Details of the President's travel arrangements on an official trip abroad for the funeral of Pope John Paul II were published in the Sunday Tribune last Sunday.

It is understood contact was made between Áras an Uachtaráin and the department last week inquiring as to how the documents found their way into the public domain.
    Department refuses to comment on President's expenses
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is the law. Record relating to the President are exempt.

Big whoop.
    I am Kilrain of the 20th Maine and I damn all gentlemen
    Whose only worth is their father's name and the sweat of a workin' man

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ireland has a very special relationship with the Vatican (despite the scandal involving the care of children) and it's no surprise that our Catholic President would mourn the loss of such a great figure.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why the big focus on just the Pope's funeral I wonder ?

What about other events / functions attended abroad ?
    Last edited by Luigi Vampa; 4th October 2010 at 12:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chirst it didn't take long for the local opus dei wannabes to latch onto this thread
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How much is too much?

... the President, Mary McAleese, and her husband, plus Bertie Ahern, Mary Harney, Enda Kenny and half a dozen advisers managed to clock up a bill of almost €20,000 for a single night’s stay at Grand Hotel de la Minerve, in Rome.
    A small price to pay? - The Irish Times - Sat, Oct 02, 2010
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    Ireland has a very special relationship with the Vatican (despite the scandal involving the care of children) and it's no surprise that our Catholic President would mourn the loss of such a great figure.
    mourn the loss.........more like hell of a wake

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1. The records shouldn't be private. That's not McAleese's fault, but the idea that the expenses shouldn't be subject FOI requests is silly.
    2. Whoever released/lost the data in the DOH needs to be fired.
    3. Why on earth did the DOH have access to the President's expense files?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

It's a nice junket for the elite. Eamonn McCann has written about these trips to see beatifications etc in the past. Fair enough , if they want to have some representation why not sub some ordinary devout Catholic who wouldn't be able to go to Rome out of their own pocket rather than the parasites who already get enough air miles off the state's back ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    I take it you are referring to the loss of a figure of €3,198 for one night in a hotel?

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast