Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Eamon Gilmore so "popular"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why is Eamon Gilmore so "popular"?

The Gilmore gale is in full force and the latest polling data suggests that Labour could become the largest party in Dáil Eireann after the next election and Eamon will become Taoiseach. Polling data to be published in the next week suggest that the majority of people believe that Eamon is Jesus Christ (although more popular). In fact, Eamon could soon become as popular as, well, Bertie Ahern was.

The Labour backroom boys (and quota of backroom girls) have played a blinder. A 21 year veteran of Dáil Eireann has been transformed overnight into a "new" force in Irish politics. Just why it took this new force 21 years to get any notice has yet to be explained. Last week Nessa Childers claimed that her party (the oldest in the state) is the "new party" in Irish politics. The spin would make an Iron Curtain era communist dictator blush with embarrassment.

I'm convinced that Labour are only one strategy meeting away from blacking up Eamon and wheeling him out as Ireland's Obama. However, Senator Obama's rallying call of "Yes we can" would have to be adapted to the standards of the Irish Labour Party. "Yes we can, unless we can't, we might but then again we might not" would be the most honest adaptation. How would it look on a placard though?

Many have pointed out that Gilmore best vocalises the "mood" of the Nation. A dozen callers to Liveline each day are pretty articulate at expressing the mood of the Nation but I'd want to know a bit more about Mick from Mulhuddart before I'd elect him to high office. What is his opinion on the Croke Park agreement for example?

So, just what is it about lads like Eamon, Bertie, Brian Cowen and Gerry Adams* that appeals to the Irish electorate?

*Those four were, at various points, the most popular leaders in Ireland according to opinion polls.
    Last edited by LDF; 3rd October 2010 at 08:10 PM.

because ff aren't
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LDF View Post
    The Gilmore gale is in full force and the latest polling data suggests that Labour could become the largest party in Dáil Eireann after the next election and Eamon will become Taoiseach. Polling data to be published in the next week suggest that the majority of people believe that Eamon is the re-incarnation of Jesus Christ. In fact, Eamon could soon become as popular as, well, Bertie Ahern was.

The Labour backroom boys (and quota of backroom girls) have played a blinder. A 21 year veteran of Dáil Eireann has been transformed overnight into a "new" force in Irish politics. Just why it took this new force 21 years to get any notice has yet to be explained. Last week Nessa Childers claimed that her party (the oldest in the state) is the "new party" in Irish politics. The spin would make an Iron Curtain era communist dictator blush with embarrassment.

I'm convinced that Labour are only one strategy meeting away from blacking up Eamon and wheeling him out as Ireland's Obama. However, Senator Obama's rallying call of "Yes we can" would have to be adapted to the standards of the Irish Labour Party. "Yes we can, unless we can't, we might but then again we might not" would be the most honest adaptation. How would it look on a placard though?

Many have pointed out that Gilmore best vocalises the "mood" of the Nation. A dozen callers to Liveline each day are pretty articulate at expressing the mood of the Nation but I'd want to know a bit more about Mick from Mulhuddart before I'd elect him to high office. What is his opinion on the Croke Park agreement for example?

So, just what is it about lads like Eamon, Bertie, Brian Cowen and Gerry Adams* that appeals to the Irish electorate?

*Those four were, at various points, the most popular leaders in Ireland according to opinion polls.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Gilmore gale is in full force and the latest polling data suggests that Labour could become the largest party in Dáil Eireann after the next election and Eamon will become Taoiseach. Polling data to be published in the next week suggest that the majority of people believe that Eamon is the re-incarnation of Jesus Christ. In fact, Eamon could soon become as popular as, well, Bertie Ahern was.

By scrupulously avoiding answering the question 'what would you do?' It's easy to ride the bandwagon of popular anger when you don't have to tell people there's no money in the pot to pay their pensions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gilmore is 'popular' because he's kept his mouth firmly shut. If you say nothing nobody can disagree with you. Labour haven't produced any policies yet so they haven't alienated anyone yet. But he will. It started yesterday, he said he'd scrap Metro North. Result: end of the possibility of two seats in DN. And so it begins.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Look at the competition

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Get a grip, Gilmore hovers around a mediocre 50% in the polls. His numbers just appear exceptional by comparison with the margin-of-error chasing Cowen and Kenny.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why is Eamon Gilmore so "popular"?

..... His hairstyle OBVIOUSLY.

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's doing well because he's out-Fianna Fáiling Fianna Fáil in opposition and the people that are flocking to his banner are the ones least willing to accept that there is a lot of pain coming down the line.
    He should have said "Sea, is feider linne ár cáca a ithe agus a bheith againn fresin" at that Labour Party Conference

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

he's very good at convincing voters that some mythical group called "the rich" will pay extra taxes and get us out of the mess we are in!
    nobody wants to pay and sure labour will look after the "ordinary man".

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast