Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: RTE putting ad-copy restrictions on rivals advertising on their channels

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default RTE putting ad-copy restrictions on rivals advertising on their channels

    Here's an interesting one. The Sunday Business Post's Media section is reporting that RTE have put restrictions on the ad copy of a TodayFM campaign to run on RTE's stations.

    TodayFM are launching a campaign to promote Ray D'Arcy's radio show and plan to spend six figures doing so across a range of media. The ad says "join D'Arcy" - except RTE are refusing to air the ad unless it just says "Ray D'Arcy" without "join" - this is because RTE has "restrictions on marketing from competing media". In order to air their ads on RTE, TodayFM has been forced to amend their ad solely to suit RTE.

    Does anyone not find these rules about copy clearance unusual? For a broadcaster that's funded through a combination of advertising and licence-fee, to impose restrictions on commercial advertising seems to be especially surprising.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Dublin Bay South
    Posts
    12,938
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Cochrane View Post
    Here's an interesting one. The Sunday Business Post's Media section is reporting that RTE have put restrictions on the ad copy of a TodayFM campaign to run on RTE's stations.

    TodayFM are launching a campaign to promote Ray D'Arcy's radio show and plan to spend six figures doing so across a range of media. The ad says "join D'Arcy" - except RTE are refusing to air the ad unless it just says "Ray D'Arcy" without "join" - this is because RTE has "restrictions on marketing from competing media". In order to air their ads on RTE, TodayFM has been forced to amend their ad solely to suit RTE.

    Does anyone not find these rules about copy clearance unusual? For a broadcaster that's funded through a combination of advertising and licence-fee, to impose restrictions on commercial advertising seems to be especially surprising.

    Would you accept an ad for a rival political website?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    not surprising at all. there once was a suspense advertising campaign by FM104 that was aired on 98FM ad breaks. the campaign being suspense nobody knew what it was for... then it revealed itself by billboard... this happened because it would not be allowed happen upfront. all is normal here. Willie O'Reilly has joint campaigns with the entire radio industry including RTE about the high value of radio advertising, this is all a bit malcolm mclaren, will he get more cheaper publicity from the protest than from the adverts, yes politics.ie and the SBP proves it. Looks like Radio Nova has upped the ante and the antics in media promotions.

    He should now record the copy again with bleeps in the space of the names to drive home his point but RTE are operating with in the norms for the industry and the industry knows it.

    The head to head attack by Today FM on 2FM D'Arcy v Tubridy is the game here, its Gerrys old listeners that are the prize.
    ... --- .-.. .. -.. .- .-. .. - -.--

  4. #4
    john moriarty
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Odyessus View Post
    Would you accept an ad for a rival political website?
    I doubt he would, but this
    is not like for like. RTE is a
    national station & shouldn't
    concern itself with such
    restrictive decisions.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Seems fair enough.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Panopticon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I can't see why RTÉ should be obliged to broadcast a piece that encourages listeners to choose competitors to its programmes.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Dublin Bay South
    Posts
    12,938
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Would Dave Cochrane accept an ad on this site encouraging people to move to a rival political website?

  8. #8

    Default

    Privatise most of rte. Leave one small station that is non advertising and only has public interest stuff like news, community events, sports etc on it and no xfactor or neighbours or other purely commercial stuff. This can be funded from central exchequer cutting need for tv inspectors.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmbhg View Post
    not surprising at all. there once was a suspense advertising campaign by FM104 that was aired on 98FM ad breaks. the campaign being suspense nobody knew what it was for... then it revealed itself by billboard... this happened because it would not be allowed happen upfront. all is normal here. Willie O'Reilly has joint campaigns with the entire radio industry including RTE about the high value of radio advertising, this is all a bit malcolm mclaren, will he get more cheaper publicity from the protest than from the adverts, yes politics.ie and the SBP proves it. Looks like Radio Nova has upped the ante and the antics in media promotions.

    He should now record the copy again with bleeps in the space of the names to drive home his point but RTE are operating with in the norms for the industry and the industry knows it.

    The head to head attack by Today FM on 2FM D'Arcy v Tubridy is the game here, its Gerrys old listeners that are the prize.
    If I were paid I would not listen to Darcy's programme.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by politicaldonations View Post
    Privatise most of rte. Leave one small station that is non advertising and only has public interest stuff like news, community events, sports etc on it and no xfactor or neighbours or other purely commercial stuff. This can be funded from central exchequer cutting need for tv inspectors.
    I'd agree with the privitisation of RTE. It could very easily be privatised and getting ridding it wouldn't cause the same level of problems Eircom's sale did. I think getting rid of ESB and Bord Gais would cause problems in the future particularly with the changeover to renewable fuels.

    But I'd cut the license fee in half and divide it up for public service programming between the newly private RTE and the other networks! And they would be mandated by a new Broadcasting Bill to show a certain % of public service broadcasting.

    As for the Symphony Orchestra it could either be scrapped or funded by the Dept of Arts, Sports & Tourism!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •