Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 120

Thread: Postcodes are totally unnecessary

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Postcodes are totally unnecessary

    Eamon Ryan has just awarded PA Consulting the contract to introduce postcodes.

    http://www.independent.ie/national-n...s-2361810.html

    There is such a thing as semantic search engines in the 21st century, which enables free-text to be resolved to a GPS coordinate without too much fuss.

    e.g. it's easier for a human to understand and interpret "54 St John's Avenue, Dalkey" than "Z49PQH". The former doesn't always need to be confirmed, whereas a postcode that is abstracted far away from the meaning of the address always needs confirmation. Also, in this day and age, computers can read addresses as quickly as they can read postcodes (unlike back in the 1980s, where a computer wouldn't know where to start if you gave it a free-text address, hence the need for postcodes). Yes, some ambiguity can arise with free-text addresses, but it's pretty obvious once a little bit of context is applied.

    Hey, we even have a company called Google here in Dublin who have expertise in the small matter of geolocation and make their services free to the general public.

    The Labour party (who I don't normally agree with) have said this system is "outdated and cumbersome". This is spot on. The confusion that will arise from it's introduction and the requirement to overhaul existing systems will be of no benefit whatsoever; despite the claimed increases in efficiency from having a postcode system.

    A needless expense that detracts from the real issues. Joe Duffy listeners will be entertained for months with this one.
    Last edited by firefighter; 3rd October 2010 at 04:51 AM.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kiwiland
    Posts
    16,993
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Having a fair amount of experience in geographical software systems myself, I agree it all seems a bit silly when there are loads of companies that provide, for example, geocoder and reverse-geocoder software. I can, should I wish, give these programs a latitude/longitude and get a text address back; or give them a text address and get a lat/lng to feed into a satnav - or Google Maps - to provide a driving route from my starting point.

    All this isn't new either, it's been available commercially for years.

    What exactly is this postcode melarky supposed to achieve exactly? And what exactly is the scam involved here - cos if a Fianna Fáil government is doing it then somebody is going to be trousering a huge wedge at the expense of the ordinary worker, some way, somehow.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    Having a fair amount of experience in geographical software systems myself, I agree it all seems a bit silly when there are loads of companies that provide, for example, geocoder and reverse-geocoder software. I can, should I wish, give these programs a latitude/longitude and get a text address back; or give them a text address and get a lat/lng to feed into a satnav - or Google Maps - to provide a driving route from my starting point.

    All this isn't new either, it's been available commercially for years.

    What exactly is this postcode melarky supposed to achieve exactly? And what exactly is the scam involved here - cos if a Fianna Fáil government is doing it then somebody is going to be trousering a huge wedge at the expense of the ordinary worker, some way, somehow.
    The real money is in updating all those public sector computer systems running proprietary software.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kiwiland
    Posts
    16,993
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    The real money is in updating all those public sector computer systems running proprietary software.
    Even for FF there'd only be a few million in that scam surely? Hardly seems worth the effort after all the tens of billions they've already stolen.

    But I suppose like paper never refuses ink, FFers just can't resist just one more scam.

  5. #5

    Default

    Postcodes have been introduced already a few months ago.
    Loc8 Code - The All Ireland Digital Address Code
    Bang in your address and away you go. If the system cannot resolve your address automatically you identify your house on the map and the system will give you the postcode.

    TBH postcodes are needed, especially in rural Ireland where you may have a congregation of murphys or kennys in the same townland.

    You can get your postcode for free at the website above.

    We already have a postcode system that works, is current in its technology and application and is compatible with GPS systems.

    We already have a national database called Geodirectory, maintained by anPost, which has a unique identifier for each property and letterbox/delivery point in the country.

    To combine the two systems would take one person with one laptop less than a day. Seeing as some eejit is just throwing the money abroad, Hell, I'd do it for just €210,000 Saving you, the taxpayer a nice 1/4 Million euro.

    €560,000 for something that is already out there and Free of Charge??? Nuts!

    Another huge waste of money.

    I suspect some form of annual 'maintenance' contract for PA.
    Or some licensing fee etc.

    Or some new quango will be set up, once the new but already redundant system is up and running, to collect a handsome salary and pension pool.

    Basing a postcode on the car registration system, as proposed by the article, is just stupid. So galway will be GAL and Athlone will be ATH it proposes. OK one obvious problem with that already.....

    So what will Kilkenny, kilquay, kildare, kilcullen, kilbride, kilternan, kilmacanoge, killary be? KIL?

    What will ballybrack, ballinteer, ballina be? BAL

    Glebe? there must be hundreds of glebes around the country!

    Postcodes are needed but we have a perfect solution already that is independent of town names and does not piss off the people in Dingle/Daingean already, and it's F.O.C., FREE!

    Nice to see, with our country going down the Sh1tter, we are still pointlessly wasting money and looking after english companies.

    Eamon Ryan please have the decency to wear a balaclava next time you are 'helping the country'.

    BTW Eamon the postcode for that place you're supposed to be working is NP6-29-30D
    Last edited by EUrJokingMeRight; 3rd October 2010 at 05:55 AM. Reason: filter
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    Postcodes have been introduced already a few months ago.
    Loc8 Code - The All Ireland Digital Address Code
    Bang in your address and away you go. If the system cannot resolve your address automatically you identify your house on the map and the system will give you the postcode.

    TBH postcodes are needed, especially in rural Ireland where you may have a congregation of murphys or kennys in the same townland.

    You can get your postcode for free at the website above.

    We already have a postcode system that works, is current in its technology and application and is compatible with GPS systems.

    We already have a national database called Geodirectory, maintained by anPost, which has a unique identifier for each property and letterbox/delivery point in the country.

    To combine the two systems would take one person with one laptop less than a day. Seeing as some eejit is just throwing the money abroad, Hell, I'd do it for just €210,000 Saving you, the taxpayer a nice 1/4 Million euro.

    €560,000 for something that is already out there and Free of Charge??? Nuts!

    Another huge waste of money.

    I suspect some form of annual 'maintenance' contract for PA.
    Or some licensing fee etc.

    Or some new quango will be set up, once the new but already redundant system is up and running, to collect a handsome salary and pension pool.

    Basing a postcode on the car registration system, as proposed by the article, is just stupid. So galway will be GAL and Athlone will be ATH it proposes. OK one obvious problem with that already.....

    So what will Kilkenny, kilquay, kildare, kilcullen, kilbride, kilternan, kilmacanoge, killary be? KIL?

    What will ballybrack, ballinteer, ballina be? BAL

    Glebe? there must be hundreds of glebes around the country!

    Postcodes are needed but we have a perfect solution already that is independent of town names already.

    Nice to see, with our country going down the Sh1tter, we are still pointlessly wasting money and looking after english companies.

    Eamon Ryan please have the decency to wear a balaclava next time you are 'helping the country'.
    Yes, BAL - Ballina should not to be confused with Ballymun. And RAT - Rathgar should not be confused with Rathnew. I can foresee the difficulties arising already...

    A lot of assertions there about why we "need" postcodes, but no evidence. Business works perfectly well. DHL don't seem to have any problems.

    The whole concept of postcodes and the homogenisation of the identity of places, is totalitarian in nature.

    Ireland has a rich heritage of place names (the Gazeteer of Irish placenames is an excellent book) and applying machine-readable designations undermines this.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    BTW Eamon the postcode in that place you're supposed to be working is NP6-29-30D
    That's retarded. On a credit card, the numbers are grouped into 4 for good reason: you can call out 4 numbers at a time and there's a good chance the person listening will remember the sequence correctly. Any more than 4 and the person listening will make more mistakes, and any less, the communication becomes less efficient, but slightly more reliable. Most postcodes in England have two groups of 3 characters which works well.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    Yes, BAL - Ballina should not to be confused with Ballymun. And RAT - Rathgar should not be confused with Rathnew. I can foresee the difficulties arising already...

    A lot of assertions there about why we "need" postcodes, but no evidence. Business works perfectly well. DHL don't seem to have any problems.

    The whole concept of postcodes and the homogenisation of the identity of places, is totalitarian in nature.

    Ireland has a rich heritage of place names (the Gazeteer of Irish placenames is an excellent book) and applying machine-readable designations undermines this.
    Trust me, we need postcodes. But we have a perfectly good and free postcode system already. The codes are only machine readable if people print their letters, ie business, or write clearly.
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    Trust me, we need postcodes.
    Is that "trust me, I'm a professional"-speak?

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    That's retarded. On a credit card, the numbers are grouped into 4 for good reason: you can call out 4 numbers at a time and there's a good chance the person listening will remember the sequence correctly. Any more than 4 and the person listening will make more mistakes, and any less, the communication becomes less efficient, but slightly more reliable. Most postcodes in England have two groups of 3 characters which works well.
    I can count eight letters/numbers. (you could call it out in two sets of four?!)

    I can see you do not like the idea of postcodes, but having a postcode does not undermine a placename no more than D4 undermines Ballsbridge?

    My beef is about wasting more money needlessly. When will it end?
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •