Follow @PoliticsIE

View Poll Results: Who to lead FG after Enda Kenny ?

Voters
127. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • Richard Bruton

42 33.07%
  • James Reilly

12 9.45%
  • Phil Hogan

0 0%
  • Simon Coveney

3 2.36%
  • Leo Varadkar

46 36.22%
  • Michael Noonan

9 7.09%
  • Mairead McGuinness

6 4.72%
  • Someone else

9 7.09%
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Who to lead FG after Enda Kenny ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Who to lead FG after Enda Kenny ?

There are plenty of rumblings on Kenny's leadership, with multiple sources saying he will be gone in weeks

Sam Smyth of the Sindo is an odious and horrible little man, but well connected - and he is spinning against Bruton

Enda is in denial -- he's not up to the job - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie
    If an election were not imminent, Mr Kenny would be challenged, although Richard Bruton would almost certainly not be a contender.

There is a convincing argument to jump a generation and Leo Varadkar, the second youngest TD in the Dail, has been impressive recently. Brian Hayes and Simon Coveney would throw their hats in the ring.
    Phil Hogan in particular has made very clear that (for one main reason) he will strongly oppose Bruton. James Reilly's shenanigans during the Bruton heave were purely selfish - and he is a huge player. SO who are the frontrunners ?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Note

I'm adding Mairead McGuinness as she could conceivably be got into the Oireachtas , or the rules changed to allow her as leader.

Also my personal opinion is that Bruton is the best choice by a long distance - and I'm not fond of (many) sources over the past week suggesting that there will be other contenders

cYp

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PJ sheehan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have to say...object to you describing Sam in he terms you do!!!

However back to the OP..

I went for Bruton...its the economy....stupid! vardakar promoted...and Reilly sent to the barbers!
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Richard Bruton : amazing track record / quotes on economy, could really stick it to Cowen. Downside is that he can be a bit dotty, also has certain ennui issues
    James Reilly : dangerous self obsessed schemer. Dirty player and temperamentally unfit to be a leader (unless we want another Haughey)
    Phil Hogan : personally I've time for him... but he can't project leadership, has poor people skills... and is a non runner
    Simon Coveney : vapid... very low brain power.... but a decent sort
    Leo Varadkar : a little too mad and prone to rash decisions. Also has some very odd views that are not yet public
    Michael Noonan : past it, and a dirty tricks man to boot- best avoided
    Mairead McGuinness : I don't like her so much... but she does have leadership abilities
    Someone else : There isn't anyone ready

cYp

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Reilly - "a dangerous and self-obsessed schemer" ?
    Don't you think thats a bit Jeffrey Archer

Politics.ie Member kerdasi amaq's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do they expect Enda Kenny to do?

I got the first vote in for Michael Noonan, but don't think I'm endorsing his candidacy.

I think the way the media are treating Enda Kenny is disgraceful. A bunch of dishonest media hacks have created an illusion about Enda's leadership of the Fine Gael party. It's unrealistic to expect discontented Fianna Fáil voters to transfer their voting intentions to their main opposition.
    We have got as much as we are going to get out of Europe; it is, now, time to leave!
    EUROPA CONVENTUS DELENDA EST!...Whistle out the marching tune.....27

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    Reilly - "a dangerous and self-obsessed schemer" ?
    Don't you think thats a bit Jeffrey Archer
    Reilly is indeed like a villain from a book... and I fear that he may well get FG leader... and only after he wreaks havoc in Government will he be found out

cYp

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Bottler for Taoiseach.
    However Bruton would probably inspire more confidence because he has a financial background unlike the current government. A Richard Bruton leader/ James Reilly deputy leader would scare the crap out of FF and its collaborators in the media.

Regards...jmcc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think Noonan is what is needed now - a steady, experienced, wily, intelligent and cunning hand on the tiller to steady two ships, FG and Ireland.

Four to five years of Noonan as FG leader and Taoiseach gives the young turks - Hayes, Varadkar, Coveney - as well as O'Dowd and McGuinness (if she can win Dail seat at next GE) time to gain Cabinet experience running departments so we can all see who is up to the job to lead FG and the country in the second half of the decade.

After all, we now know repairing the damage of the last few years under FF will take at least 10 years and FG must aspire to lead the next two or three governments.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast