Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Spending: -€20bn a year, Banks: -€1.5bn a year

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Public Spending: -€20bn a year, Banks: -€1.5bn a year

This is the real issue facing this country. The banks are going to cost us €30bn to €40bn over 20 to 30 years.

While everyone is caught up in an "Anglo Irish Bank" rant, little do they realise that it's our public services that need to go on a cold turkey diet. Of course it suits the unions perfectly for everyone to be transfixed about headline banks and headline bankers/property developers.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    This is the real issue facing this country. The banks are going to cost us €30bn to €40bn over 20 to 30 years.

While everyone is caught up in an "Anglo Irish Bank" rant, little do they realise that it's our public services that need to go on a cold turkey diet. Of course it suits the unions perfectly for everyone to be transfixed about headline banks and headline bankers/property developers.
    True, but it's not just the unions, the opposition & the media make a fair hand at it as well.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    True, but it's not just the unions, the opposition & the media make a fair hand at it as well.
    Agreed.

The salaries of teachers, nurses and the gardai are going to have to be looked at. We simply can't afford the highest paid public servants in the world.

Teachers in their early 20s starting on €31k is unsustainable.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Public Spending: -€20bn a year, Banks: -€1.5bn a year

Public spending: Schools, hospitals, police, teachers, libraries, utilities, transport, justice system, armed services, national security, nursing homes....

Banks: Nation-wrecking cockroaches.

I know which one I'd rather my money went to.

Agreed.

The salaries of teachers, nurses and the gardai are going to have to be looked at. We simply can't afford the highest paid public servants in the world.

the last people's whose salary should be cut are the Gardaν, nurses, firemen and teachers.

How about abolishing 75% percent of qaungos first and top civil servants?
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern man’s existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Heneberry View Post
    the last people's whose salary should be cut are the Gardaν, nurses, firemen and teachers.

I agree. It's going to have to be across the board.

Another "pension levy" is a great way of achieving this.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Which quangos?
    Which Civil Servants?
    How much will this save?
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Politics.ie Member making waves's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are very few newly qualified teachers who get remotely close to 31k. Newly qualified teachers usually get part-time hours if they are lucky enough to get any work. I have been teaching for nearly six years after spending 15 years working in another job. After losing my job I did what the government tell people do - I retrained as a teacher. After nearly six years I still don't earn 31k and I still earn less than my previous job.

N.B. Irish public sector workers are not the highest paid in the world.
    Separate Church and State

Politics.ie Member DeGaulle 2.0's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In London, the Metropolitan police are considering making new recruits work for nothing in their first year:

Police recruits may have to start without pay - Telegraph
    Vive le Quιbec libre ! Ag beathϊ na dtochardαn σn mbliain 2007.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The banks will cost a lot more.

As I tried to point out in the Fionnan Sheahan thread, the cost of bailing out the banks is not just the interest that we will have to pay on additional debt for the next 10 years, it is the face value of this debt, plus the interest.

If our borrowing has to increase by 30 billion so we can bail Anglo out, the full cost is 30 Billion + 10 years interest on 30 Billion. If the 30 Billion is never repaid, we will be paying interest on it forever.

The government/Fionnan Sheahan/FF hacks on here line that bailing out the banks is a one-off fixed cost is a complete lie.
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast