Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opposition access to finance department figures

Default Opposition access to finance department figures

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...279096320.html
    Joan Burton has also proposed confidential briefings for the Opposition, which have been promised in the past but which do not seem to have taken place.
    the opposition have repeatedly asked to get more access to department of finance information which they say the need to put forward fully informed policies, that the government havn't allowed it, although someone said Lenihan said they could get the information last week, but then Burton asked again for a senior contact in the department of finance who give them the information in the dail again this week.

what the actuall situation with this.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...s-2337836.html

And he pledged to "show them the books" before the December 7 Budget so they could not claim they were being kept in the dark.
    its doesn't like lenihan is really willing to share information with the opposition if he refuses to give them info in the dail and then gives it the FT
    Last edited by lostexpectation; 2nd October 2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: ah its covered in these articles but still unclear
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member Dreaded_Estate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I never understand why the opposition parties are expected to spell out what they would do in the budget yet the government parties don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded_Estate View Post
    I never understand why the opposition parties are expected to spell out what they would do in the budget yet the government parties don't.
    This isn't true at all, the main reason the government has been getting hammered by both the international media and the markets is because they have utterly failed to produce any sort of long term plan.

Politics.ie Member Dreaded_Estate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    This isn't true at all, the main reason the government has been getting hammered by both the international media and the markets is because they have utterly failed to produce any sort of long term plan.
    Don't see how what you have said is in disagreement with what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded_Estate View Post

bingo,lenihan constantly saying he can't reveal budgets details, the ability of the ff gov to spin reality to their liking is unbelievable!
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Department of Finance for information?

Can these people count or are they so demonstrably loaded with senior departmental figures entrenched in positions because they are "onside", "one of us" or/and political appointees in management positions that consistently produced inaccurate figures and estimates over the years for their political masters.

Senior management in the Department of Finance need to be differently employed now!

Cowen open to Opposition ideas on reducing deficit - The Irish Times - Sun, Oct 03, 2010

He said he had spoken to Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan about making a designated official from his department available to the Opposition spokespersons to come forward with ideas and proposals.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why on earth would the Opposition want to look at figures produced by the Department For Truth And Unicorns anyway?

On a more general point, after we've eradicated the FF parasite, we should start looking at adopting some of the principles and attitudes of the Open Source software movement into the running of this country.

There's hundreds of thousands of intelligent, informed, dedicated, knowledgable, experienced people all over the country who know far more about the practicalities of each Department's area than the overpaid buffoons in there right now. Never mind the 166 numpties in the Dáil, most of them "school teachers" and "auctioneers" and "lawyers" who only worked a couple of years in their lives before inheriting Daddy's seat 25 years ago. WTF would any of those gobdaws know about anything, I ask ye?

Set the information free, complete openness around every decision, a distributed information-gathering and decision making process where policies get refined by thousands of engaged citizens themselves, all ensuring everything that happens does so transparently and without shady backroom deals to enrich cornies or protect incumbents.

Tear down the Cathedral, exile the Gatekeepers, shine a bright light on the vested interests. Let's have some modern thinking and some rule of law about this place instead of medieval peasant sly secretive sleveenery.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

we must be worse off than the gov admits if they are willing to get opposation involved, master plan coming up with old mama calling for election before end of year, FF still have a few tricks up the sleve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast