Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Road Rage Man Dies

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Road Rage Man Dies

The guy who was a victim of road rage in leafy Sandymount of all places has died. Surely this deserves some moral outrage.

Politics.ie Newbie Irelands Call's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nothing to do with Sandymount, it says he was local but he had to be from Irishtown or Ringsend going on his behaviour plus he had a Hurley in his boot.

Politics.ie Member Fr John Murphy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The full story here is more complex than "road rage". The victim drank 10 pints of Guinness before gettin behind the wheel of a large 4x4. He intimidated the killer, eventually blocking him after an altercation. The killer had his 18 month old daughter in his car. The guys who recently kicked a Polish man to death "for a buzz" got 12 and 9 years - somw years suspended.

Hitting someone in the head with a hurley is obviously a crime. Although they both drove away, damage was inflicted as the victim
    died a few days later. But is there not SOME difference in moral quality that should mean the sentences are different? The Polish man's killers went looking fir trouble and literally smashes their victim's head in. The victim in the Sandymount killing was a drunk and aggressive driver and the killer doesn't seem to have sought out trouble.

We can all agree the killing was wrong. But does anyone think he should get a heavier sentenxe than the Polish man's killers - which is what has happened?

Politics.ie Member amsterdemmetje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fr John Murphy View Post
    The full story here is more complex than "road rage". The victim drank 10 pints of Guinness before gettin behind the wheel of a large 4x4. He intimidated the killer, eventually blocking him after an altercation. The killer had his 18 month old daughter in his car. The guys who recently kicked a Polish man to death "for a buzz" got 12 and 9 years - somw years suspended.

Hitting someone in the head with a hurley is obviously a crime. Although they both drove away, damage was inflicted as the victim
    died a few days later. But is there not SOME difference in moral quality that should mean the sentences are different? The Polish man's killers went looking fir trouble and literally smashes their victim's head in. The victim in the Sandymount killing was a drunk and aggressive driver and the killer doesn't seem to have sought out trouble.

We can all agree the killing was wrong. But does anyone think he should get a heavier sentenxe than the Polish man's killers - which is what has happened?
    A Hurley can be a deadly weapon especially when you repeatedly hit someone on the head with it. I have no sympathy for the guy hitting another human being with a weapon like that is an act of savagery and cowardice. Did he think it would make him a better man in the eyes of his daughter who was in the back seat. This guy was a coward and a thug and justice has been served.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Given the circumstances - I think the sentence was very harsh.

e.g Eamonn Lillis got a lighter sentence despite pleading not guilty and trying to blame someone else

Hopefully sentence is reduced upon appeal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree but I'm asking whether these guys should get 9 years:

Three jailed for 'savage' killing - The Irish Times - Fri, Mar 30, 2012

with one having a concurrent sentence for another crime and one having 3 years suspended.....

And this guy gets 12:

Man jailed over road rage killing - The Irish Times - Mon, Apr 23, 2012

?

I realise this will be misinterpreted as not seeing the "road rage" killing as serious. It is serious. Hr killed a man with a hurley. I get that. But my suspicion is that if he were a lawyer, doctor, dentist or other professional, as opposed to a crane driver, there'd be people pointing to the sentence as harsh when you look at other manslaughter sentences handed down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrPanda View Post

e.g Eamonn Lillis got a lighter sentence despite pleading not guilty and trying to blame someone else

Reduced? He hit the man in the head 8 times with a hurley stick. That's murder.
    He got off lightly.

Politics.ie Member amsterdemmetje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrPanda View Post

We know what the circumstances were.The poor man who was killed didnt get out of his car with an axe or a wheel brace in his hand did he. The fact that he was well over the limit does not excuses the over reaction of the man who killed him.He battered him about the head with a hurl and as far as i know he was the one who was sober. Jesus Christ think about it for a minute ,your child is in the car and your beating a man to death in broad daylight for no reason other than road rage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where did it say he hit him 8 times in the head? Link? Haven't seen that level of detail about the attack.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast