Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Bradshaw not selected for Stormont run

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Loyalist South Belfast
    Posts
    769
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Bradshaw not selected for Stormont run

    BBC News - UUP reject Paula Bradshaw Stormont selection bid

    Not that I am the greatest fan of her but I am opposed to what not selecting her means.

    I presume she has not been selected for a number of reasons - the association with the Conservatives, being a woman, not being Orange, backing McCrea over Elliott and not properly feeling the mood of the area she wishes to represent.

    The UUP have no female MLAs. This might change at the next election with Overend but that would merely be the starting of a new dynasty.

    Is this the beginning of a lurch to the extreme?
    There is always hope when people are forced to listen to both sides.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Its a great loss to their party but is what it is- a stepping back from UCUNF.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,934
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    young , female ,got a brain ......no room in UUP for that .

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Loyalist South Belfast
    Posts
    769
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinoboy View Post
    young , female ,got a brain ......no room in UUP for that .
    Got a brain? Really? Have you been on her facebook account lately?
    There is always hope when people are forced to listen to both sides.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,934
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue84 View Post
    Got a brain? Really? Have you been on her facebook account lately?
    Sorry TB ,do not do Facebook ,maybe I was overestimating Ms Bradshaw ? Her work background suggested somebody who was committed to local regeneration and would require some brainwork. Maybe not too streetwise ?
    Anyway , if there were more intelligent females in UUP ,it would freshen things up a bit is my main point.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Co. Antrim
    Posts
    344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I wonder if she will join the alliance party now? Ian Parsley might rejoin with her.

    Either that or he’ll convince her to join the Conservatives.

    I hope the later doesn’t happen because that will be a waste of two fairly good politicians. I think they could do more if they joined the Alliance party.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,071
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue84 View Post
    BBC News - UUP reject Paula Bradshaw Stormont selection bid

    Not that I am the greatest fan of her but I am opposed to what not selecting her means.

    I presume she has not been selected for a number of reasons - the association with the Conservatives, being a woman, not being Orange, backing McCrea over Elliott and not properly feeling the mood of the area she wishes to represent.

    The UUP have no female MLAs. This might change at the next election with Overend but that would merely be the starting of a new dynasty.

    Is this the beginning of a lurch to the extreme?
    What has not being Orange got to do with it? Some very prominent Unionist/Loyalist posters on here maintain that the Orange Order have very little influence on Unionist parties or their policies,your post above would indicate they do have an influence.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Loyalist South Belfast
    Posts
    769
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antrim View Post
    I wonder if she will join the alliance party now? Ian Parsley might rejoin with her.

    Either that or he’ll convince her to join the Conservatives.

    I hope the later doesn’t happen because that will be a waste of two fairly good politicians. I think they could do more if they joined the Alliance party.
    If the Northern Ireland Conservatives are as brave as they talked about (sorry cant find the BBC News story) they talked of a rebranding of their party whilst still being linked with the mainland Tories they would forge on with their own path in Northern Ireland.

    Edit - not sure what the NI Conservatives would be bringing to such an Alliance other than the ear of the Mainland Conservatives and possibly funding as they rarely get over 5000 votes

    Combine that with a potential 30% from the UUP if Basil jumps and you have an interesting little centre right party there with a decent trio at the head of it all McCrea, Bradshaw and Parsley.
    Last edited by TrueBlue84; 4th October 2010 at 12:25 AM.
    There is always hope when people are forced to listen to both sides.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Loyalist South Belfast
    Posts
    769
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idle tim View Post
    What has not being Orange got to do with it? Some very prominent Unionist/Loyalist posters on here maintain that the Orange Order have very little influence on Unionist parties or their policies,your post above would indicate they do have an influence.
    How is Bradshaw's selection a policy? It was a democratic selection process in her association. If however that association has a number of OO members I would find it hard to believe that they would endorse a non OO member over a OO member
    There is always hope when people are forced to listen to both sides.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member physicist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue84 View Post
    How is Bradshaw's selection a policy? It was a democratic selection process in her association. If however that association has a number of OO members I would find it hard to believe that they would endorse a non OO member over a OO member
    They endorsed Rodney Conner over Tom Elliot didn't they?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •