Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to stop Hand Outs to Landowners

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Time to stop Hand Outs to Landowners

Now that Ireland is bankrupt, is it not time to stop forcing the taxpayer to fork out two billion euro a year in hand outs to farmers? I find it obscene that people living in bedsits are being forced to pay hand outs to landowners who are strolling about in their private parks. I also find the EU protectionism on food to be ridiculous. If they want capitalism and free markets, let them have capitalism and free markets. Why should good state companies be forced to privatise in the name of "competition" but landowners be protected from competition and gives bags of free money?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FF have a core vote of 20% to 25% for a reason.

The kind of people who are about 3 stone overweight and have pub grub lunches in 4* hotels 2 or 3 times a week (I was at a conference down the country about 3 weeks ago and the hotel was crawling with such leisurely SUV-driving FF "farmer" types).

You can rest assured that the landlords' dole will also remain untouched for Budget 2011. They'd sooner get their pound of flesh by cutting 25% off the dole and hope that nobody will notice in a hullabaloo over "dole fraud" or lazy young men sitting at home "smoking weed all day". Expect a Prime Time special to distract the masses.

As for farmers not getting their handouts? lol. You think sheep in the Dept. of Agriculture on Kildare Street is bad? How about tractors blocking up O'Connell Street and burning hay bales up Kildare Street?

Take away their inheritance exemption and you might as well drop a nuke on the Pale.
    Last edited by firefighter; 1st October 2010 at 07:46 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So because some people are hurting, you want to destroy everyone else livelihood?

Ending farm subsidies will take time and careful planning, it shouldn't be done in a way that will destroy these families.

Large scale change to an economy takes time, enough folks are hurting. Lets not make it worse.

As for your gratuitous reference to 'private parks', get a grip.
    I am Kilrain of the 20th Maine and I damn all gentlemen
    Whose only worth is their father's name and the sweat of a workin' man

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    FF have a core vote of 20% to 25% for a reason.

You can rest assured that the landlords' dole will remain untouched for Budget 2011. As for farmers not getting their handouts? lol. You think sheep in the Dept. of Agriculture on Kildare Street is bad? How about tractors blocking up O'Connell Street and burning hay bales up Kildare Street?
    Yes, Fianna Fáil are certainly better at taking money from handicapped children than from sacred cows.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pujols View Post
    So because some people are hurting, you want to destroy everyone else livelihood?

Ending farm subsidies will take time and careful planning, it shouldn't be done in a way that will destroy these families.

Large scale change to an economy takes time, enough folks are hurting. Lets not make it worse.

As for your gratuitous reference to 'private parks', get a grip.
    The Irish word for field is páirc. Many fields are bigger than many public parks.

But, why do you think farmers should be protected from economic reality - when everyone else has to pay?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cael View Post
    The Irish word for field is páirc. Many fields are bigger than many public parks.

But, why do you think farmers should be protected from economic reality - when everyone else has to pay?
    I do not think they should be 'protected' from economic reality but I think that ending susbsidies should be done on a phased basis to avoid the huge economic dislocation that would follow a 'cold turkey' halt.

That is all.
    I am Kilrain of the 20th Maine and I damn all gentlemen
    Whose only worth is their father's name and the sweat of a workin' man

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FF won't want to touch farmers but they may have no choice. Farmers special VAT rates is also crazy. What other trade would the Government allow a refund of VAT from the purchase of goods from someone unregistered and increase the net paid to the seller.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pujols View Post
    I do not think they should be 'protected' from economic reality but I think that ending susbsidies should be done on a phased basis to avoid the huge economic dislocation that would follow a 'cold turkey' halt.

That is all.
    If you are getting loads of free money, and it stops, there is always going to be economic dislocation. These hand out are supposed to stop in 2013 anyway - but, of course, the assumption is that they will simply be renewed in another form.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Of course, in reality, not only should the hand outs be stopped, but a land valuation tax also brought in.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This has been debated here extensively before, with Cael failing to understand the importance of subsidies to the agri sector despite all the anecdotal evidence, statistics, research and otherwise thrown at him. However here are 2 major reasons though I'm sure Cael won't be able to grasp them...

1) Ending these subsidies would mean at least 120,000 more people on the dole. Or are you in favour of speeding up the rate of emigration? You claim (in your best 'Daily Star' style rhetoric) that its easier to take away money from handicapped children than farmers. Would you prefer all income was taken away from up to 120,000 parents?

2) Lets say there was another world war. At the moment it doesn't seem likely, but if there was then it would be every country for itself in terms of food production. That means if Ireland had no agri sector, then it would leave Ireland in a pretty bad situation if a war did occur.

Oh and not all farmers drive SUV's or vote FF. In fact there are many who would never vote FF due to civil war politics meaning their great great whoever voted FG and meaning they must vote FG as a result. That's a whole other issue but demonstrates that FF aren't the only one rural Ireland votes for.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast