Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 69

Thread: Sending the Budget to the EU "For Approval"

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Sending the Budget to the EU "For Approval"

    I understand between €3bn and €4bn will need to be shaved off the 2011 budget.

    But will this Government again send off our budget for scrutiny by Brussels bureaucrats?

    This is a huge undermining of our national sovereignty and an insult to the electorate.

    Joan Burton (who I don't normally agree with) had lots to say at the last budget day on this matter. Lenihan who enjoys giving off an air of authority and knowledge, is nothing but a puppet AFAIC.

    I have no doubt that the books have been opened for inspection and negotiations are well underway. By budget day, all will have been decided via conference call and first class flights to and from Brussels.

    Update: I just Brian Cowen on the 9 o'clock news today (Oct 2nd). Over in Brussels discussing our budget. FF gimps sporting open neck shirts in the background as he's doing his TV interview with RTE. Is he trying to give off an air that he knows what he's doing? He's being told what to do. And who is paying for these unelected party hacks to attend these meetings in Brussels? No doubt they're all in the bar now getting pissed alongside the Brussels set.
    Last edited by firefighter; 2nd October 2010 at 11:55 PM.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    This is a huge undermining of our national sovereignty and an insult to the electorate.
    Yes, but the suckers voted yes to Lisbon, didn't they.
    All Europeans now.

    Anyhow, maybe for the best.
    Ireland has proved that it's incapable of self-governance.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member HarshBuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11,891
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    the facts;

    1. Rehn on Tuesday said that Ireland needed to show multi-year visibility on its budget

    2. Lenihan 36 hours later turns around and pledges to do exactly that

    no question as to whose hand is really on the tiller
    “'retail deposit flight, I don't see that as a great danger. Ireland is an island” - Brian Lenihan - to hundreds of international investors

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    They'll let unelected European bureaucrats see inside the books and give orders to senior civil servants, but they won't let opposition members of the Dail look at the books. Let alone influence how the budget should proceed.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eyelight View Post
    Anyhow, maybe for the best.
    Ireland has proved that it's incapable of self-governance.
    Ok, but why maintain the charade that is Oireachtas Eireann?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    I understand between €3bn and €4bn will need to be shaved off the 2011 budget.

    But will this Government again send off our budget for scrutiny by Brussels bureaucrats?

    This is a huge undermining of our national sovereignty and an insult to the electorate.

    Joan Burton (who I don't normally agree with) had lots to say at the last budget day on this matter. Lenihan who enjoys giving off an air of authority and knowledge, is nothing but a puppet AFAIC.

    I have no doubt that the books have been opened for inspection and negotiations are well underway. By budget day, all will have been decided via conference call and first class flights to and from Brussels.
    We're living off Europe's money so why wouldn't they want to know where it is going. I'm sure they'd be quite happy for us to go off and do our own thing if that were our perogative.

    Quote Originally Posted by eyelight View Post
    Yes, but the suckers voted yes to Lisbon, didn't they.
    All Europeans now.

    Anyhow, maybe for the best.
    Ireland has proved that it's incapable of self-governance.
    Its got nothing to do with the Lisbon Treaty. Outline how the situation would be materially different if Lisbon had not passed.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kerry
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    They'll let unelected European bureaucrats see inside the books and give orders to senior civil servants, but they won't let opposition members of the Dail look at the books. Let alone influence how the budget should proceed.
    Brian Lenihan invite opposition to the Dept to view the books, dont think they were in any rush to see the trouble we are in...

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    We're living off Europe's money so why wouldn't they want to know where it is going. I'm sure they'd be quite happy for us to go off and do our own thing if that were our perogative.
    Jeez. And there's me thinking the Irish Government could raise all the money they needed on the bond markets and didn't need EU/IMF support.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    Jeez. And there's me thinking the Irish Government could raise all the money they needed on the bond markets and didn't need EU/IMF support.
    If you believe that you're even worse than the Government. The State has been living off the support of the ECB for over a year. The ECB are providing finance to banks to buy our bonds and where that fails they are buying the bonds themselves. There is little finance flowing into this State which is not a handout from Europe at present... and yet you want them to ignore where that money is going?

    That is the consequence of bringing the country to ruin.

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    Ok, but why maintain the charade that is Oireachtas Eireann?
    We haven't the money to fund the redundancies...
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •