Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do I do now???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What do I do now???

I was self employed for the last 4 years. I worked with the same company all that time. I could earn up to 70K per year. It was in the terms of the contract. I was let go last April, and have worked on some of the biggest projects in the country.
    Because I was self employed
    I cannot get the dole, and because my wife earns over the threshold (and not by much) I cannot get job seekers.
    I cannot get on any back to work scheme (you have to be in receipt of dole or job seekers)
    I cannot get any of the college places that the unemployed receive (you have to be in receipt of dole job or seekers)
    If I never get a PAYE job again, I will never ever receive any payment from the gov.
    I cannot access the funding to do a post graduate as I do not qualify as I am not in receipt of any government handouts

I have a primary degree, with two post graduate diplomas. I have three children, ages 6, 2 (with down syndrome) and 8 weeks

What do I do now??
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is a dilemma encountered by many right now and illustrates the reality behind the statistics.

I know of many in similar situations. Easy to say, I know, but you have to think outside the box. I will pm you. Perhaps I can be of some help.

Politics.ie Member fluffykontbiscuits's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by controller View Post
    I was self employed for the last 4 years. I worked with the same company all that time. I could earn up to 70K per year. It was in the terms of the contract. I was let go last April, and have worked on some of the biggest projects in the country.
    I cannot get the dole, and because my wife earns over the threshold (and not by much) I cannot get job seekers.
    I cannot get on any back to work scheme (you have to be in receipt of dole or job seekers)
    I cannot get any of the college places that the unemployed receive (you have to be in receipt of dole job or seekers)
    If I never get a PAYE job again, I will never ever receive any payment from the gov.
    I cannot access the funding to do a post graduate as I do not qualify as I am not in receipt of any government handouts

I have a primary degree, with two post graduate diplomas. I have three children, ages 6, 2 (with down syndrome) and 8 weeks

What do I do now??
    You may be entitled to unemployment assistance

Self-employed and unemployment-Information from CitizensInformation.ie

What line of work were you in?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What do I do now??
    Start your own business?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't have much comfort to offer you as I'm in the same boat as yourself. One thing you should do though is sign on anyway for credits. This may also qualify you for a back to work scheme, you'll have to check with the dole office.

Also, get in touch with the tax office and get them to give your wife your tax free allowance. You should also apply for a home carers credit if you are at home with the kids.

Hope things work out for you and best of luck.

What do I do now??
    You were not self employed you were an employee as defined by tax legislation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post
    You were not self employed you were an employee as defined by tax legislation.
    No.....I was self employed as defined by the tax legislation.....I paid self employed stamps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fluffykontbiscuits View Post
    You may be entitled to unemployment assistance
    Not according to the dole office or citizens advice

Quote Originally Posted by fluffykontbiscuits View Post
    What line of work were you in?
    Project Management, primarily but not exclusively construction projects

No.....I was self employed as defined by the tax legislation.....I paid self employed stamps
    Wrong as working for same company for 4 years even as self employed makes you an employee.

What did you do with the benefits you had as an employee over and above being a PAYE employee ?

Politics.ie Member fluffykontbiscuits's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not according to the dole office or citizens advice

Project Management, primarily but not exclusively construction projects
    Not sure if you were a member of the Construction Industry Federation but they provide career advice too might be worth a shot 01 406 6000 is their number

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast