Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 129

Thread: End to Irish low corporate tax rate

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    529
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default End to Irish low corporate tax rate

    EU economics commissioner predicts an end to low taxation in Ireland:
    Rehn signals end to low taxes - The Irish Times - Fri, Oct 01, 2010

    Why is our low corporation tax rate still such a taboo?
    Surely, we now need to rethink our tax policy?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member A view from England's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    UK and Limerick County (not City)
    Posts
    2,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeleneye View Post
    EU economics commissioner predicts an end to low taxation in Ireland:
    Rehn signals end to low taxes - The Irish Times - Fri, Oct 01, 2010

    Why is our low corporation tax rate still such a taboo?
    Surely, we now need to rethink our tax policy?
    The corporation tax rate should not be taboo. Perhaps the tax could be raised and coupled with lower wages costs.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    811
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Whatever about the Corpo tax rate, this is the final stake in the heart of the FF/PD low tax policy. (Of course it was never low tax really, it was just low taxes for the rich but plenty of indirect taxes on everybody else to make up for the rich not paying their share.)

    I wonder will FF and the PD remnants care to comment on the final burial of their main policy plank and admit the total failure that it proved to be. Will Cowen come out and admit that he was wrong when he told Pat Rabbite "you lost the tax argument a long time ago". An arrogant incompetent.

    Will Harney admit now that her Boston has destroyed us, Berlin must rescue us.

    The fact that Cowen and Harney are still running the show after such abject failure is an outrage.
    Negative equity, unemployment, emigration, IMF, bankruptcy: brought to you by Fianna Fail - destroying millions of lives for 80 years.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    529
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dalywise View Post
    Whatever about the Corpo tax rate, this is the final stake in the heart of the FF/PD low tax policy.
    You say FF/PD but the whole mainstream political establishment supported this low corporate tax policy. Why? Why did/do Labour support the same cowboy economics as FF/FG/PDs? Why is nobody challenging the taboo in Ireland?

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member libertarian-right's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dublin Mid West
    Posts
    2,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Corporation tax will be the bargaining chip should the EU/IMF step in. Then expect FDI to suffer greatly. MNC's will start to wonder why are they staying here.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Waterford
    Posts
    1,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeleneye View Post
    You say FF/PD but the whole mainstream political establishment supported this low corporate tax policy. Why? Why did/do Labour support the same cowboy economics as FF/FG/PDs? Why is nobody challenging the taboo in Ireland?

    Be that as it may. We are where we are. We can turn the corners. But the fact remains. The EU CAN'T touch our corporate tax rate. THAT was negotiated and WRITTEN IN to the Lisbon 2 agreement. Saying otherwise is just scaremongering on the 'No' side.

    Perhaps the EU Commissioner is a propagandist for the 'No' campainers.

    Cowen and Co have sworn that our tax system is sovereign and cannot be changed by the EU. Michael Martin swore the same. Dick Roche. Mary Hannafin. John gormless. Eamon Ryan. Brian Lenihan.

    Upright, trustworthy men one an all. And Mary.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member cozzy121's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeleneye View Post
    EU economics commissioner predicts an end to low taxation in Ireland:
    Rehn signals end to low taxes - The Irish Times - Fri, Oct 01, 2010

    Why is our low corporation tax rate still such a taboo?
    Surely, we now need to rethink our tax policy?
    VOTE YES TO LISBON!!!!..... suckers
    "WAKE UP! THE RICH ARE RAPING YOU!"

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Pauli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pfäffikon, Kanton Schwyz, Switzerland.
    Posts
    1,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dalywise View Post
    Whatever about the Corpo tax rate, this is the final stake in the heart of the FF/PD low tax policy. (Of course it was never low tax really, it was just low taxes for the rich but plenty of indirect taxes on everybody else to make up for the rich not paying their share.)

    I wonder will FF and the PD remnants care to comment on the final burial of their main policy plank and admit the total failure that it proved to be. Will Cowen come out and admit that he was wrong when he told Pat Rabbite "you lost the tax argument a long time ago". An arrogant incompetent.

    Will Harney admit now that her Boston has destroyed us, Berlin must rescue us.

    The fact that Cowen and Harney are still running the show after such abject failure is an outrage.
    +1. Finally. Three-card trick economics hurled into the trashcan of history. The failure of this BS has to be beaten into those who perpetrated it, with hurleys if necessary. Arrogant, clueless cretins who have destroyed the future of the next two generations.
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,326
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dalywise View Post
    Will Harney admit now that her Boston has destroyed us, Berlin must rescue us.
    Berlin is rescuing us because it has functioning financial regulation, not because it has high taxation. The crisis proved that we need the first, but didn't prove we need the second.

    There are countries with tax takes similar to ours, but proper financial regulation, that were relatively unaffected, e.g. Switzerland.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Pauli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pfäffikon, Kanton Schwyz, Switzerland.
    Posts
    1,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
    Berlin is rescuing us because it has functioning financial regulation, not because it has high taxation. The crisis proved that we need the first, but didn't prove we need the second.

    There are countries with tax takes similar to ours, but proper financial regulation, that were relatively unaffected, e.g. Switzerland.
    Switzerland has very little political corruption whereas in Ireland it is off the bloody scale in comparison.
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •