Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Green Party response to yesterdays announcements

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Green Party response to yesterdays announcements

Has any member of the green Party given an official reaction to the Anglo/AIB announcements yesterday?
    They are still part of the government, aren't they, or is it a case that because this doesn't impact on "Climate change" that they have no opinion on it?
    The last time I saw/heard from the Greens was Trevor Sargent on Front Line on Monday (in which he was destroyed imho)
    Have they NOTHING to say whatsoever?
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They must be busy thinking up new taxes to hit ordinary people with. Perhaps 5% consumption tax on potatoes or something similar will emerge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Gogarty made about a hundred announcements in relation to it.
    It went something like this: It's not about the next General Election, it's about the next Generation, stupid!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalFG View Post
    It went something like this: It's not about the next General Election, it's about the next Generation, stupid!
    I think that in a Freudian slip, Gogo managed to miss out that comma so that it became 'Generation stupid!'.

Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalFG View Post
    So have The Greens made Twitter their official communications tool? (I do think it's funny that the words Twit and Tool in used in a sentence about the Greens)
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The greens seem quite happy to let anglo palns proceed as long as they get to push ahead with their program for government. I mean surely banning a stag hunt, and getting a dublin lord mayor in is far more important than a mere 34bn black hole.

In any case, a few more green taxes etc will help fill said hole!!
    The true "front line workers" are the private sector paye employees who are first to take the bullet. Cannon fodder for their state and the public sector.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wexfordman View Post

The greens seem quite happy to let anglo palns proceed as long as they get to push ahead with their program for government.

I mean surely banning a stag hunt, and getting a dublin lord mayor in is far more important than a mere 34bn black hole.
    And you're forgetting about Gormless's cynical and corrupt attempts to block the Ringsend incinerator. The next generation my butt - it's all about the next election.

The thing that I'm looking forward to most in the next GE is the announcement by the Returning Officer that Gormley has lost his seat in Dublin SE - plus his deposit!

(The Mc Dowell seat loss last time round was sweet enough, but the Gormley one will really cause the champagne corks to pop in Chateau Mushroom!)
    Founded in 2003, Politics.ie has one of the most engaged, respected and influential politics and current affairs communities.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos the black View Post
    Has any member of the green Party given an official reaction to the Anglo/AIB announcements yesterday?
    I'm still waiting for FG to make a response.

So far, I've watched Prime Time, Vincent Browne and listened to MI this morning, and haven't heard anything.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The blanket bank guarantee scheme required the bank recapitalisations. Like the Greens, Fine Gael voted for the guarantee scheme and thus they also voted for the consequential recapitalisations.

The Greens position is that the bank crisis has been costly but that allowing the retail banks to fail would have been more costly. The crisis has been the result of inadequate regulation and the procyclical fiscal policies of previous governments.

2010 is being treated as a big bath year with a huge amount of losses being crystallised up front. Compare this to the UK and Germany whose banks are being allowed to work through their toxic assets without balance sheet recognition in the hope that it will all work out in the future.

It's pretty clear at this stage that the Irish economy has stopped shrinking. Unemployment fell for the first time last month. Number employed is stabilising. GDP is up for 2010H1. Exports are up over 12% for the half year. 10yr bond yields have fallen 50 basis points since the announcements about Anglo, AIB and Nationwide. In the EU multiyear stability programme for Ireland, 2010 was marked in as stabilisation year and apart from the non-recurring exceptional bank losses, the stability plan is on target. It will now be revised with the EU and released shortly to take account of the Anglo recap costs and I expect the other parties will sign up to it as they did before.

Legislation has been in preparation all summer and we're about to sit down and start passing more Green laws. Although the bank crisis seems huge, the deficit crisis is larger still and the next budget (like last year's) will be very tough and difficult to get through the Dáil. Progressive legislation passes more easily in a time of crisis and right now the Greens have maximum leverage on FF who wish to stay in as long as possible waiting for things to improve before the next GE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd forgotten they were in government, they've been so silent.

I must remember to have a big stick at the door for when they come round at the next election (Green voter at last election)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast