Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Families in the Oireachtas?

Default Families in the Oireachtas?

Came across this entry on wikipedia
    This list is incomplete wiki says

Families in the Oireachtas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by wiki View Post
    There is a tradition in Irish politics of having family members succeed each other, frequently in the same parliamentary seat. This article lists families where two or more members of that family have been members (TD or Senator) of either of the houses of the Oireachtas (Dáil Éireann and Seanad Éireann) or of the European Parliament. It also includes members of the Oireachtas who had a relation who served in the British House of Commons for an Irish constituency. It does not include people who have served only on local councils.
    How common is this internationally? The Bushes kennedys and millbands spring to mind of the top of my head!

I wonder what other areas have nepotism in Irish State life(eg army officers)?

Is this nepotism?

Is thisa bad thing for democracy?

Any future political reform IMO needs to address this issue.

I just googled nepotism there and clicked on the wiki entry
    i found this entry under ireland
    Nepotism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many Irish politicians "inherit" seats in the Oireachtas (Parliament) from family members: a list is given at Families in the Oireachtas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its not nepotism, its a lazy electorate. I'm not sure how you could legislate against that and still call it a democracy.
    it’s the continuing series of small tragedies, that send a man to the, madhouse

Quote Originally Posted by shutuplaura View Post
    Its not nepotism, its a lazy electorate. I'm not sure how you could legislate against that and still call it a democracy.
    The people are a major factor yes but you can only vote for whats but in front of you

The most likely person to get elected is one of the mainstream party candiate
    correct, they have a huge advantage over indos and smaller partys
    they have the BRAND

Who selects the candiate? nepotism is a factor or corruption to give it its full name

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ireland (I hesitate to say Republic...since we are choc-a-bloc with Dynasties)...is fast becoming a joke internationally thanks to the gombeen cute hoor politicians and their families and buddies...END OF !!

missing from that list is all the ppl who got there through cllrs relatives and tds who now have councillors relative, mostly through co-option
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by agnostipol View Post
    Ireland (I hesitate to say Republic...since we are choc-a-bloc with Dynasties)...is fast becoming a joke internationally thanks to the gombeen cute hoor politicians and their families and buddies...END OF !!
    I suspect we have one of the most hereditary democracies around. Just look at the names expected to replace the 2 women who announced they will not stand in the next election; Liz McManus- her son, Mary Upton - her nephew. [2 MEN FOR 2 WOMEN BUT THAT'S FOR ANOTHER DAY!]
    To reduce the shocking hereditary practice we could limit any TD to 3 terms. I can see no good reason why someone like Kenny or Harney or Cowen should see it as a career for life and then their's to pass as a legacy.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Éireann go Brách View Post
    Came across this entry on wikipedia
    This list is incomplete wiki says

Families in the Oireachtas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How common is this internationally? The Bushes kennedys and millbands spring to mind of the top of my head!

I wonder what other areas have nepotism in Irish State life(eg army officers)?

Is this nepotism?

Is thisa bad thing for democracy?

Any future political reform IMO needs to address this issue.

I just googled nepotism there and clicked on the wiki entry
    i found this entry under ireland
    Nepotism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It is widespread in all democracies, and always has been, but particularly under electoral systems that are non-list based.

There are a couple of reasons:

• Family experience: children often emulate the careers of their parents because it was their experience as a child growing up, so seems second nature to them. Hence children of doctors tend to become doctors. Children of teachers tend to become teachers. Children of Anglican clergy tend to become clergy. Children of actors tend to become actors. Children of nurses tend to become nurses or something in the medical profession. Children of academics tend to become academics. Children of criminals tend to become criminals. Children of jockeys tend to become jockeys. Children If as their formative age a child sees a particular career, they are more likely to follow that career in their own adulthood. So TDs have children who see Daddy or Mammy work at politics all their lives, and they instinctively follow in their footsteps. (It is also why unemployment tends to be cross-generational, with a child of a parent who is longterm unemployed more likely to be unemployed.) Hence two of Professor Brian Farrell's sons, David and Theo, are themselves professors, David in his father's old college, UCD. Lester Piggott's daughter worked with horses. John Lennon's son, Julian, became a musician. Bach's father and uncles all were musicians. All six of his male children who survived to adulthood had musical skills and all but one had a full musical career.
    • Electoral system: where people vote for an individual candidates rather than lists they always show a greater willingness to vote for relatives of the previous MP than someone with no political connection.

That is why parties run them. Family members are interested in running and the voters are interested in voting for them. If a family member won't run, parties get complaints on the doorstep from people asking why a family member didn't run.
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

tob justifying low standards since he was someone else
    Last edited by lostexpectation; 1st October 2010 at 11:51 PM.
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post
    It is widespread in all democracies,
    Provide evidence for that blithe sweeping comment.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not nepotism because it isn't the outgoing dad who chooses the ingoing daughter- it's the electorate that choose. How often does it actually happen here? :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast