Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Was Richard Bruton used as a 'stalking horse'?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Was Richard Bruton used as a 'stalking horse'?

This is the method much loved by the English Tories when they want to depose a leader. Not so common in Irish politics. But the question does arise in relation the the recent farcical attempted coup in FG: was Bruton (unkown to himself) used by certain wilier Blueshirts with leadership ambitions of their own as a stalking horse? It's quite clear that Bruton's long-term leadership ambitions have been damaged (probably irreparably) by this fiasco: will the real contender emerge in the coming months?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

'Wilier Blueshirts'! LOL!

There's no one in FG worthy of leadership. Look at them. Kenny became leader for God's sake, that should be enough evidence.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeDroit View Post
    'Wilier Blueshirts'! LOL!

There's no one in FG worthy of leadership. Look at them. Kenny became leader for God's sake, that should be enough evidence.
    It strikes me that at least two of the so-called young bloods (Coveney and Varadkar) may have leadership potential. Interestingly, they both openly admit to leadership ambitions. More interestingly, they both played central roles in the abortive coup.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And the winner of the silliest thread of the day is . . .
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Wept View Post
    This is the method much loved by the English Tories when they want to depose a leader. Not so common in Irish politics. But the question does arise in relation the the recent farcical attempted coup in FG: was Bruton (unkown to himself) used by certain wilier Blueshirts with leadership ambitions of their own as a stalking horse? It's quite clear that Bruton's long-term leadership ambitions have been damaged (probably irreparably) by this fiasco: will the real contender emerge in the coming months?
    I presume you selected your username after reading that post.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I reckon Leo Varadkar would make a good FG leader. He's a good debater on tv and addresses issues quite well. Plus I think he fits the bill, young, healthy, informative and straight talking, that is needed in this day and age of personality politics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It strikes me that at least two of the so-called young bloods (Coveney and Varadkar) may have leadership potential. Interestingly, they both openly admit to leadership ambitions. More interestingly, they both played central roles in the abortive coup.
    At the time RB was the 'most-capable-in-the-Dail' in public perception - the coup plotters thought it was a fait accompli once it was initiated. And those mentioned probably thought they had the more prestigious ministerial seats sewn up after supporting him. Your thesis isn't plausible.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    I presume you selected your username after reading that post.
    Does a coup as botched as that, clearly ill-fated from the start, not cause you to raise even one eyebrow in a tiny fraction of suspicion? And you don't think there are any scheming Machiavellian type characters in the ranks of the Blueshirts, that they're all pure as the driven snow, motivated solely by the loftiest ideals?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RahenyFG View Post
    I reckon Leo Varadkar would make a good FG leader.
    Varadkar is the obvious choice although I reckon he's sick of politics.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Straight answer, no. He was full on going for it.

At the FG Ard Fheis Kenny made much of Bruton as his man for finance in a future government. The following day he was forced to back off from that and effectively conceded the job to Lab. It was an incredibly stupid thing to do and I predicted at the time it would lead to Bruton challenging him. He waited for a plausible hook to hang the challenge on and went for it.

The heave was triggered by idiocy not wiliness.
    Last edited by Baron von Biffo; 1st October 2010 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Typo

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast