Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thank you Bertie Ahern...

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Thank you Bertie Ahern...

Watching the announcement on the economy today, debt of 33% GDP, from Rome (where I weirdly walked past government effluence valve Sam Smyth a couple of days ago), I have been struck by the sheer incredulity in the commentary by American, British, and European media at the scale of the debt that future generations, including people not yet born, will be paying off. When in Ireland it is difficult to get proper perspective on the scale of what we are now stuck with (not that it is much easier from abroad), and even now the huge screw-up of our country is almost beyond proper comprehension. But, when viewing all this via the sucking teeth noises of economic commentators from elsewhere, the scale somehow becomes clearer from abroad, and my feelings range between raging anger and diffident impotence at what has been done to Ireland on the watch of Bertie Ahern.

I felt that the commentary today largely forgot Bertie Ahern's vital contribution to our utter destruction economically and reputationally, putting the prime blame with the banks rather than with the government that tore up the banks' rule book. So I just wanted to say a huge thank you to Bertie Ahern, the most disastrous Taoiseach in Irish history, for not giving a toss about anything other than short-term self-interest, and letting the spivs and gamblers fill their boots without any rulebook. And thank you for making sure that while your constituents sink because of unemployment, pay cuts, service cuts, and crippling tax burdens, you live off the proceeds of speeches to unsuspecting idiots in third world countries telling them about your stewardship of our economic 'miracle', while neglecting to mention our current abyss of near-bankruptcy and imminent mass-emigration. So long as you're okay yourself...

Thanks for presiding over Ireland's ruin, Mr. Ahern. Anyone else wish to add to my slow hand-clap?...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't hate people but I think I might he in the case of him.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

l l l l l l light t t t touch re re re regulation

Sure everyone has a job and I have loads of dosh..
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

Politics.ie Member slippy wicket's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica View Post
    I don't hate people but I think I might he in the case of him.
    He should be in the stocks

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I heard a BBC announcer this morning repeat how Ireland's Deficit was about 1/3 of GDP and comparatively "three times the size of the UK's".
    It is definitely being looked on with incredulity from abroad.

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re. Ahern, this post by anewbeginning earlier, is I believe an excellent summation of the legacy of that piece of excrement

Quote Originally Posted by anewbeginning View Post
    Yup, it seems in Ireland, actual competence is irrelevant.

What's more important is that you can really work a studio, you have the right colour hair, the right colour suit and tie, and so on and so forth, superficial traits like that. If you bankrupt the nation and put 450,000 people on the dole, that's not important. What's important is superficially you look the part.

Let me repeat, Bertie Ahern "connected" brilliantly with the electorate. While he was doing that in public, in private he was facilitating the bankrupting of the Irish people and laying the foundations for high unemployment.
    People repeatedly chose superficiality over substance with Ahern and we're reaping the consequences now

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I am waiting for the day that we hear some harm has come to Ahern. He must never go out in public any more, surely it's not safe for him.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    I am waiting for the day that we hear some harm has come to Ahern. He must never go out in public any more, surely it's not safe for him.
    He poked his nose in at an event in Phibsboro' recently and was audibly slagged - he retreated quite quickly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    Re. Ahern, this post by anewbeginning earlier, is I believe an excellent summation of the legacy of that piece of excrement

People repeatedly chose superficiality over substance with Ahern and we're reaping the consequences now
    The consequences of politics of the trough
    The truest statement I have heard on the legacy of the Ahern years.
    Its only a chat, we ain't the world council.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ahern is a truly vile man, devoid of morality and perspective. A product of his narrow-minded, self-seeking parochial party. And, let's not forget, the monumental complacency and shallowness of an electorate which returned him three times and consistently gave him personal approval ratings in the 60s.

The payback of 10 years of inflationary growth will be 10 lost years of stagnation. Ahern's was a disastrous regime which we are going to pay for in spades.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast