Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The first job of the new FG/Lab Government

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The first job of the new FG/Lab Government

should be to do what Cowen is scared to do, and that is to bring every last piece of debt that Ireland owes, out into the open i.e. put all the bodies on public display. So at least then we have a baseline. I have no doubt there is a competency within a FG/Lab coalition government to get on with the job, but let there be a first time for the Irish people to know how truly fecked we are. From there we can move on.

What should be happening now, far behind the scenes, are talks between FG/Lab on how they can quickly expose what has been going on. Agreeing a programme for Government is one thing, but at least they should be agreeing how they will structure their first 100 days in office.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

jumping the gun a bit aren't you? I agree, its LIKELY to be a FG/Lab govt, but not guaranteed. There could, for example, be a huge lovers tiff. They are still only at the sniffing around each others butts stage

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dent View Post
    should be to do what Cowen is scared to do, and that is to bring every last piece of debt that Ireland owes, out into the open i.e. put all the bodies on public display. So at least then we have a baseline. I have no doubt there is a competency within a FG/Lab coalition government to get on with the job, but let there be a first time for the Irish people to know how truly fecked we are. From there we can move on.

What should be happening now, far behind the scenes, are talks between FG/Lab on how they can quickly expose what has been going on. Agreeing a programme for Government is one thing, but at least they should be agreeing how they will structure their first 100 days in office.

Personally I'd like their first job to be the publication of the deposit holders in Anglo as of Sept 2008 as part of the truth and reconciliation process, then lighting a fire under the Director of Corporate Enforcement's ass make sure all breaches of company law in Anglo - say the hiding of loans by directors - are actually prosecuted.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by galleyslave View Post
    jumping the gun a bit aren't you? I agree, its LIKELY to be a FG/Lab govt, but not guaranteed. There could, for example, be a huge lovers tiff. They are still only at the sniffing around each others butts stage
    I don't believe I am jumping the gun. There is no way Labour or FG would enter into a coalition with Fianna Fail. To do so would be political suicide, especially for Labour. I'm not talking about which policies will form part of a program for government, but rather the structure of how they will conduct their first hundred days, what they would hope to achieve. This should be done well away from prying eyes, probably on an informal basis, but it should be done. Lay some of the groundwork over the next 6 months. If the whole Calamitygate affair has taught the two parties anything, it is that there should be some sort of informal dialogue between themselves.

Politics.ie Member President Bartlet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are assuming that there will still be a country for them to govern.

WERE DOOOMED I TELL YA DOOOOMED!!!!!!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    Personally I'd like their first job to be the publication of the deposit holders in Anglo as of Sept 2008 as part of the truth and reconciliation process, then lighting a fire under the Director of Corporate Enforcement's ass make sure all breaches of company law in Anglo - say the hiding of loans by directors - are actually prosecuted.
    That would all be part of it - get it all out there.

And I still have hope that it was FG/Labour brought in the McCracken Tribunal, where they were given the proper powers to get to the truth, whereas we know the ones set up under Bertie were always hamstrung, deliberately.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by President Bartlet View Post
    You are assuming that there will still be a country for them to govern.

WERE DOOOMED I TELL YA DOOOOMED!!!!!!!
    You have to work on the presumption that there will be a country to govern !

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dent View Post
    . There is no way Labour or FG would enter into a coalition with Fianna Fail. To do so would be political suicide, especially for Labour.
    To enter into govt with either FF or FG would be suicide for Labour. That is, if they want to represent labour.

FF/FG coalition govt has to be next unless FF lose 70+ seats. Otherwise we're still stuck in civil war. Time for these two dinosaurs to implement their right wing agenda in an open and honest fashion, and let the Irish people deal with the consequences rather than be forced to leave the country.

If Labour enter a coalition with the likes of Leo Varadkar, Brian Hayes or Michael Ring, then IMO they will have betrayed the Irish people just as FF have done for most of their pathetic existence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The first job of the new FG/Lab Government

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corkoniense View Post
    To enter into govt with either FF or FG would be suicide for Labour. That is, if they want to represent labour.

FF/FG coalition govt has to be next unless FF lose 70+ seats. Otherwise we're still stuck in civil war. Time for these two dinosaurs to implement their right wing agenda in an open and honest fashion, and let the Irish people deal with the consequences rather than be forced to leave the country.

If Labour enter a coalition with the likes of Leo Varadkar, Brian Hayes or Michael Ring, then IMO they will have betrayed the Irish people just as FF have done for most of their pathetic existence.
    A FG/Labour coalition is what the majority of the Irish people expect, and since they worked successfully together in the past, it is a reasonable expectation. I'm not sure about the need for proper Left - Right politics. In the UK, both left and right parties have rushed to the centre. IMO a balanced government bringing all sections of society forward is the preferred way forward. All that really needs to happen is the complete annihilation of Fianna Fail ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast