Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Competition concerns on Mike Soden's appointment to new Central Bank Commission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Competition concerns on Mike Soden's appointment to new Central Bank Commission.

... I was going to send the following letter to the European Commission. Any feedback or comments on the letter before I send it would be appreciated. Thanks.

COMP State Aid Registry
    European Commission
    J-70, Office 3/225
    70, Joseph II Street - 1049 Brussels
    Stateaidgreffe@ec.europa.eu

30 September 2010

Dear Sir, Madam,

RE: MARKET DISTORTION AND COMPETITIVE CONCERNS RELATING TO THE APPOINTMENT OF MR. MIKE SODEN TO THE NEW CENTRAL BANKING COMMISSION BEING SET UP IN IRELAND.

I am writing to express concern at the appointment of Mr. Mike Soden to the new Central Banking Commission. His designs and intentions with regard the banking sector are in the public domain, and I would like to draw your attention to these facts.

In summary, Soden is on record as having stated that he favours instating a mechanism for valuing property that is removed from the normal market mechanism. In addition, that he favours a consolidation of the two primary Irish retail banks to form what he terms (misleadingly), a ‘national champion’.

In an interview with the largest national Sunday newspaper in Ireland on October 12th, 2008*, Soden set out his views on the need for ‘a state-backed property company’ to address the problems as he saw them in the property market and the banking sector (it would be fair to say that NAMA as envisaged in Peter Bacon’s report of April 8th, 2009 reflected well these views expressed by Soden). I quote verbatim the substance of these views as recorded in the Sunday Independent interview:

"The purpose of New Co (NAMA) is to create an entity that is accredited with placing value on property in Ireland… This company will then become the principal marketplace for buyers and sellers in the future…

…Crucially, New Co (NAMA) would determine a price for these properties… This will lead to the establishment of a mechanism for valuing property in the current market…

… This distressed property holding company is going to need a huge lump of dough. Soden believes that it could be funded by the ECB or Central Bank of Ireland..."

Now, whether Soden’s proposed solution (consisting essentially in the advancement of a state supported and funded monopoly) is workable or not, is not for me to say. What I will say is that the problems in this country stem from more than fiscal and monetary mismanagement. Rather, they stem from social and political factors. These factors have become stark in the current economic climate and there is hope that they will be addresssed. This hope has just started to show itself, and an appointment like this could easily crush it.

Yours faithfully,

………………………..

* Merger of AIB and BoI is the only way to save sector - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie
    “Words are animals, alive with a will of their own”.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roc_ View Post
    No feedback on this? Is it crap? Bin it?
    Send it off to them - your views will at least be on record.

This man is a class above, even Mr. Brian Lenihan. The old order will resume.
    Banker who let slip mask of the elite - Gene Kerrigan, Columnists - Independent.ie
    Mammy, get the hammer there's a fly on daddy's head.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are you objecting to his appointment or just expressing 'concern'? If there is one thing I've learnt, it's that you have to explicitly state if you object or not. Sending in a letter expressing concern and expecting the Commission to treat it as anything but an observation on your part is wishful thinking.