Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Government-Aligned Independents Now the 'Scabs' of the Dail?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Are Government-Aligned Independents Now the 'Scabs' of the Dail?

The consensus, born out by all polls, radio phone-ins, the media in general and public sentiment, is that this is probably the most hated and distrusted government in the history of the State.

Yet, the main party in that government is sustained by the ongoing support of the greens and a collection of disparate independents. TDs who were elected by their constituents to represent them. Unless each of these independents represents a constituency that is significently different from the rest of the country, they are maintaining in power those responsible for the half million people without jobs; the black hole that is the banks' bailout; the incompetency that has destroyed the future for Irish youth.

They can only, just like the greens, be hanging in to get as much out of it for themselves as possible.

To use the language of the unions, does this make them 'scabs'?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Scabs is such a dirty word... I'd be more likely to call them self-serving me-féiners, who are an insult to the meaning of the word democracy. They continue to facilitate a government which has all but bankrupted this country. Essentially Independents in this country will always be glorified county councillors as they support minority governments for the benefit of a particular constituency, and their own popularity in said constituency and to the detriment of the democratic institutions of this country as a whole

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Michael Lowry et al all Scabs

When the election is launched, and it will be soon. I will be holding Michael Lowry responsible for supporting this despot government over the last two years.
    My suggestion is that people put up signs banning canvassing by FF, Green and Independent supporters of the government.
    The people want an election and the likes Mr Lowry is preventing this for naked political capital for himself and his constituents. Believe me Mr Lowry you will not be topping the poll the next time out.!!!
    Just go, for gods sake go!!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Highking View Post
    Scabs is such a dirty word... I'd be more likely to call them self-serving me-féiners, who are an insult to the meaning of the word democracy. They continue to facilitate a government which has all but bankrupted this country. Essentially Independents in this country will always be glorified county councillors as they support minority governments for the benefit of a particular constituency, and their own popularity in said constituency and to the detriment of the democratic institutions of this country as a whole

'Politics' is becoming a dirty word too. And 'scab' is a term that is applied in many circumstances and situations. I don't know of a nicer alternative that captures fully their impact.

The local focus is admirable - but are they still focussed on their constituents?

Or just themselves?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have no problem calling them SCABS!!!!!

SCABS....SCABS......SCABS!!!!
    The hurt of one is the hurt of all, the honour of one is the honour of all.

Native American Indian Traditional Code of Ethics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After defeating the writ to move the bye-elections just now, I would say scabs would be to kind a word. Quislings would be more in line.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consultant View Post
    The consensus, born out by all polls, radio phone-ins, the media in general and public sentiment, is that this is probably the most hated and distrusted government in the history of the State.

Yet, the main party in that government is sustained by the ongoing support of the greens and a collection of disparate independents. TDs who were elected by their constituents to represent them. Unless each of these independents represents a constituency that is significently different from the rest of the country, they are maintaining in power those responsible for the half million people without jobs; the black hole that is the banks' bailout; the incompetency that has destroyed the future for Irish youth.

They can only, just like the greens, be hanging in to get as much out of it for themselves as possible.

To use the language of the unions, does this make them 'scabs'?
    Looked at another way, they are the bravest of the brave.
    The Government parties more or less have to take on and stick with the responsibility of Government, whether they like it or not.
    Not so with our good friends the independents, they can either see the tough job through or walk away to the applause of the mindless, for doing so.

Up to now they've stood firm with only one, who is thinking more of himself than the country, leaving the ship.

It would have been easy for the rest of them to walk away, but so far they've stood their ground and they deserve praise for that.

Will they get any praise...will they f..k and they know it, but still they stay.

Sound men, the independents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does anyone have any reliable projections about which independents are:

almost certain to be re-elected
    almost certain to lose
    could go either way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    Looked at another way, they are the bravest of the brave.
    The Government parties more or less have to take on and stick with the responsibility of Government, whether they like it or not.
    Not so with our good friends the independents, they can either see the tough job through or walk away to the applause of the mindless, for doing so.

Up to now they've stood firm with only one, who is thinking more of himself than the country, leaving the ship.

It would have been easy for the rest of them to walk away, but so far they've stood their ground and they deserve praise for that.

Will they get any praise...will they f..k and they know it, but still they stay.

Sound men, the independents.
    Tonic, you're beginning to sound more and more like Spotty every day.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackpitts View Post
    Tonic, you're beginning to sound more and more like Spotty every day.
    Please don't take my usual lack of response to your posts personally.
    I guarantee if you ever have anything worthwhile to say, I'll be there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast