Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Corporation Tax

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Corporation Tax

The German Green Party MEP's and the Christian Democrat MEP's, both members of the European People's Party along with Fine Gael, want to "harmonise" the corporatin tax levels/rates across Europe. Or more correctly want Ireland to increase our CT above a certain level (unspecified) because it's "not fair" and that "Ireland has the lowest CT rate in Europe (EU)". There are two other EU countries with lower CT than Ireland, Bulgaria and Cyprus at 10% CT each.

According to the Green Party MEP on Newstalk, they have been talking with Fine Gael about the raising of Irish CT rates in line wth EU rates and have not been getting negative responses from the FG MEP's.

This gives the impression that Fine Gael are interested in raising our CT rates as well.
    How is that going to effect their gaining votes in an election?

Edit. Correction.
    It was the Christian Democrat MEP who was speaking on Newstalk.

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/202/tuesday/1/popup
    Part two, 23 minutes into that segment.
    Last edited by myksav; 29th September 2010 at 05:34 PM.
    The enemy of my enemy is the enemy of my enemy. EU Army coming to be, the feckin' conspiracy nuts on Lisbon were right on this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh if that became a proper story it would cause quite some damage to Fine Gael I'd imagine. The 12.5% CT rate has almost become a biblical truth and even considering changing it is deemed heresy. The notion that Europe will change our CT rate is one of the best weapons of the anti-EU crowd come referendum time. If it did become the case that FGs position was less than absolutist, it would lose them votes.
    Last edited by baldur0300; 29th September 2010 at 05:16 PM.
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen” - Albert Einstein

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myksav View Post
    The German Green Party MEP's and the Christian Democrat MEP's, both members of the European People's Party along with Fine Gael, want to "harmonise" the corporatin tax levels/rates across Europe. Or more correctly want Ireland to increase our CT above a certain level (unspecified) because it's "not fair" and that "Ireland has the lowest CT rate in Europe (EU)". There are two other EU countries with lower CT than Ireland, Bulgaria and Cyprus at 10% CT each.

According to the Green Party MEP on Newstalk, they have been talking with Fine Gael about the raising of Irish CT rates in line wth EU rates and have not been getting negative responses from the FG MEP's.

This gives the impression that Fine Gael are interested in raising our CT rates as well.
    How is that going to effect their gaining votes in an election?
    Rubbish. FG is implacably opposed to raising the 12.5% Corporation Profits Tax. Remember it was a decision of the Rainbow Coalition of FG and Labour to introduce the rate. Richard Bruton and Michael Noonan in recent months have warned that under no circumstances must Ireland give up this low rate of tax.
    However German politicians of ALL parties and German newespapers have become more shrill in their demands that if Ireland gets a bail out it must yield on this tax rate. Ireland can veto the proposal. So all hot air. Now if Ireland has to go cap in hand thanks to FF the blackmail attemps will intensify.
    Last edited by punchdrunk; 29th September 2010 at 05:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myksav
    A German Green MEP? Which one?
    To who did he/she talk among FG MEPs?
    Has the Green MEP any proof of receiving a "not negative" response?

This thread has a smell off it.

Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not likely that it well be put up by any one here not unless some one has a major breakdown off a mental kind.
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But dammit, I'm trying to find reasons to vote FG and every time they come close, stuff like that crops up.

Though what the German GP MEP said was enough to make one very wary, he kept saying "things have changed since the CT guarantees were given on Lisbon". Not for the first time either.
    The enemy of my enemy is the enemy of my enemy. EU Army coming to be, the feckin' conspiracy nuts on Lisbon were right on this one.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Libero View Post
    A German Green MEP? Which one?
    To who did he/she talk among FG MEPs?
    Has the Green MEP any proof of receiving a "not negative" response?

This thread has a smell off it.
    This is a FF smear effort. Give them something to deny. Nixon was a strong believer in this.
    I defy anybody to produce ACTUAL evidence that FG wants to raise the rate. It doesn't exist. FG would not join any government that would raise the rate.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But dammit, I'm trying to find reasons to vote FG and every time they come close, stuff like that crops up.

Though what the German GP MEP said was enough to make one very wary, he kept saying "things have changed since the CT guarantees were given on Lisbon". Not for the first time either.
    Pity an FF hack like you didnt work with Nixon. He could learn a thing or two from you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by punchdrunk View Post
    This is a FF smear effort. Give them something to deny. Nixon was a strong believer in this.
    I defy anybody to produce ACTUAL evidence that FG wants to raise the rate. It doesn't exist. FG would not join any government that would raise the rate.
    myksav the noted FFer that he is .........
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen” - Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I didn't hear the Newstalk interview. Can you give us the time and the name of the show so we can listen back?

Can you even just give us the answers to my questions in my last post?

Since you were listening, and you say this is serious enough to affect your vote, you must have those answers, right?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast