Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Radon Gas - Nutty Woman Refuses to Test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Radon Gas - Nutty Woman Refuses to Test.

Cliona Saidlear from Galway refuses to test her home for Radon Gas because she is afraid that it might be found and cannot afford to pay for the remedial work.

IMHO this women is a fruitcake, the type deserving of winning a Darwin Award, who in their right mind would not do a test for something that is very likely to kill you if the dose is high enough. She is obviously someone who does not value her own life.
    Last edited by FrankSpeaks; 29th September 2010 at 03:08 PM.
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It may also be the case that the woman is so poor that she is desperate? 'Tis the season after-all.
    The best way to see Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ingersoll View Post
    It may also be the case that the woman is so poor that she is desperate? 'Tis the season after-all.
    That is not the impression I get from reading the letter. In it she states:

I am aware of the risks of radon but I will not be testing my home. If I had my home tested and it was found to have high levels of radon I imagine my home would lose value or become unsellable.The only solution, it appears, for an existing house where a high level of radon is found is to effectively remove the flooring and dig up the entire area of the ground floor to put in a protective barrier and a sump. I found this information hard to glean. An estimate of the cost of such an operation was not available, but one assumes it would be considerable.

Since I cannot afford same, I will not be testing my home.
    I reckon she can afford the test but is worried that she might not be able to pay for the solution if the level is high. To my mind she is putting a very low price on her own life!
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe she doesn't want officials with clip boards and hi-viz jackets inside her own home?
    Last edited by firefighter; 29th September 2010 at 03:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have not had my home checked and won't be having it checked, no way I can afford to do anything about it if it was toxic, know lots more people in same situation, does that make me nutty?

Under the Constitution it is HER PROPERTY and accordingly any state flunky has no right to test inside her property without her permission.

Long live the Constitution.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by truthisfree View Post
    I have not had my home checked and won't be having it checked, no way I can afford to do anything about it if it was toxic, know lots more people in same situation, does that make me nutty?

You would seriously prefer NOT to know whether there is cancer-causing gas in you house?

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by truthisfree View Post
    Irrational certainly. Or misinformed about the risks you would be accepting.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What's to be gained from testing if she can't take any action based on the result?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post
    Under the Constitution it is HER PROPERTY and accordingly any state flunky has no right to test inside her property without her permission.

Long live the Constitution.
    You must pay for the test yourself! Nobody enters your property, basically you contact a testing company who send you out some plastic containers that you stick on your wall. They look similar to those nice smell things that you stick up. Leave them there for 3 months and send them back to the testing company who then give you a report on the radon level in your house.

It costs around €50 to test a typical house, a small price to pay for piece of mind.
    Last edited by FrankSpeaks; 29th September 2010 at 03:28 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast