Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UVF On Verge Of Implosion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Breaking story from UTV who are tonight reporting that a senior figure in the paramilitary Ulster Volunteer Force is about to turn supergrass against his former comrades. It's believed this is linked to the ongoing Operation Ballast investigation into the activities of the notorious Mount Vernon gang during the 1990s.

A number of men from North Belfast and Newtonabbey, among them the serial assassin and RUC Special Branch agent, Mark Haddock, face trial for serious terrorist offences, including the murder of rival loyalist Tommy English. The case against the accused rests heavily on the testimony of two brothers, Ian and Robert Stewart, who turned supergrass in return for lenient sentences after confessing their parts in the October 2000 murder of UDA man English (the GFA's early-release provisions apply only to offences commited before April 1998).

A new wave of arrests is expected in light of the latest, more serious defection, which comes at a time when the UVF is already under severe pressure due to the continuing fallout from its murder of Shankill Road man Bobby Moffat in June. The Sunday World, which has impeccable loyalist sources, reported at the weekend that the organisation's top brass (sorry that's me seeking a job at the SW!) was in total disarray with senior figures said to be turning on each other.

Can the state really afford to hang the UVF leadership out to dry? And on another note, why is the UTV website publicising police arrest operations in advance?

Adds: the Irish News initially named Gary Haggarty as a prospective 'grass' in August last year.
    http://saoirse32.blogsome.com/2009/08/28/p14147/
    Last edited by picador; 29th September 2010 at 03:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hope the UVF/RHC slaughter each other.
    You can never be to careful when a touts about boys.
    When in doubt take him out.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doubtless the above advice will continue to be practiced on the illiterate youth that get sucked in by dissident groups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Conan UFB View Post
    I hope the UVF/RHC slaughter each other.
    You can never be to careful when a touts about boys.
    When in doubt take him out.
    There are certainly a few who know a lot of secrets. Which is why I doubt that either the HET's Operation Ballast (apparently renamed Stafford) or the PSNI investgation into the murder of Bobby Moffat will touch the men right at the top.

National Security considerations are at issue.
    Last edited by picador; 29th September 2010 at 09:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We must cut links with UVF, says PUP chief - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

The remnants of the Progressive Unionist Party meet tonight to decide whether to maintain their links with the UVF. I forecast the UVF needs all the help it can get at the minute and the PUP will vote to maintain that link.

A cynic over at Slugger suggests the answer to the question
    Why is the UTV website publicising police arrest operations in advance?
    is that a big stick is being waved at the UVF in a final attempt to make them play ball in accordance to the rules (i.e. no more killing, kneecapping or racketeering).

I guess we shall see whether these heavily-trailed arrests (also mentioned in today's Irish News) materialise or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PUP has voted to retain the link with UVF. Meanwhile, still no arrests.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by picador View Post
    PUP has voted to retain the link with UVF. Meanwhile, still no arrests.
    Very interesting to hear; was it close?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by earwicker View Post
    Very interesting to hear; was it close?
    I've no idea but as things stand the UVF still has a political adjunct. Some dodgy looking fellas appeared on the news as interim leader Dr John Kyle read out a statement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BBC News - Former UVF leader Gary Haggarty granted bail by Belfast court
    "In January 2010 he agreed to become an assisting offender under the terms of the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act (SOCPA).
    He has been held in custody since agreeing to testify against former associates in return for a lighter sentence.
    Some 30,000 pages of material and 760 interview tapes have been amassed from interviews conducted with him."

Will he be any more reliable a witness than the Stewart brothers or is it squeaky bum time on the Shankill?

Politics.ie Member PaddyO'Neill's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hope many ex RUC/current PSNI people are finding life very stressful.

Scumbags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast