Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Euro note question?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Euro note question?

Why if the euro is a common currency are each countries notes identifiable by the serial number?

Was this to prevent a currency chaos in the event of a member state being ordered to stop issuing and that countries money could then be easily avoided?

We have already had rumours of German (X) shopkeepers refusing to accept Greek (Y) notes. Looking through my wallet the spanking new €50's are all Italian (S)

The 11 digit serial number on every note begins with a prefix showing which country issued it. German notes begin with an X, Greek notes start with a Y, Spain's have a V, France a U, Ireland T, Portugal M and Italy S. Belgium is Z, Cyprus G, Luxembourg I, Malta F, Netherlands P, Austria N, Slovenia H, Slovakia E and Finland L.

You can double check the issuer by adding the digits and adding again to arrive at a country code, eg: X50446027856.....(5+0+4+4+6+0+2+7+8+5+6) = 47, (4+7) = 11, (1+1) gives 2, the code number for Germany.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Towers View Post

We have already had rumours of German (X) shopkeepers refusing to accept Greek (Y) notes.
    I've not heard those rumours. Were they mentioned on P.ie. or elsewhere? Any links?
    “A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” R. Steiner

Politics.ie Member ballot stuffer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yehbut_nobut View Post
    I've not heard those rumours. Were they mentioned on P.ie. or elsewhere? Any links?
    These rumours did the rounds at the same time as Lehmans and again during the Greek tragedy. I couldn't find a source more concrete than Ambrose Evans Pritchard in the Telegraph. Make of that what you will.
    Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Do you have to constantly be a lunatic? Is it never tiring for you? You have to give them serial numbers. The serial numbers have to mean something. Doesn't breaking it down by Country-Mint-issue number make the most sense? How else would you organise the numbering system?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can double check the issuer by adding the digits and adding again to arrive at a country code, eg: X50446027856.....(5+0+4+4+6+0+2+7+8+5+6) = 47, (4+7) = 11, (1+1) gives 2, the code number for Germany.
    But there are sixteen countries in the eurozone?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Because they're printed by the individual countries. Assigning a country prefix means that countries don't have to cross-check their serial numbers.

Same system for telephones, domain names, etc etc...but perhaps the fact that we have a unique country code for Irish telephone numbers means that there's a secret plan to cut our telephones off from the rest of the world, eh?
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riadach View Post
    The "X" is all that's required to identify it as Germany. Irish banknotes start with a "T".
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riadach View Post
    I believe some countries share a code.

Politics.ie Member kerdasi amaq's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some letters have already been allotted to countries that haven't joined the Eurozone.

W is Denmark. R is Luxembourg. K is Sweden and J is the United Kingdom. I,Q, and O are not in use.
    We have got as much as we are going to get out of Europe; it is, now, time to leave!
    EUROPA CONVENTUS DELENDA EST!...Whistle out the marching tune.....27

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why if the euro is a common currency are each countries notes identifiable by the serial number?

Was this to prevent a currency chaos in the event of a member state being ordered to stop issuing and that countries money could then be easily avoided?

We have already had rumours of German (X) shopkeepers refusing to accept Greek (Y) notes. Looking through my wallet the spanking new €50's are all Italian (S)

The 11 digit serial number on every note begins with a prefix showing which country issued it. German notes begin with an X, Greek notes start with a Y, Spain's have a V, France a U, Ireland T, Portugal M and Italy S. Belgium is Z, Cyprus G, Luxembourg I, Malta F, Netherlands P, Austria N, Slovenia H, Slovakia E and Finland L.

Nothing strange here. The U.S. uses a similar system. Each of the issuing Federal Reserve banks has an identifying letter which is printed on the currency they issue. The note in the link below was issued by the Federal reserve bank of San Francisco, as can be seen from the letter "L" in the crest on the left.

http://wendyusuallywanders.files.wor..._us_dollar.jpg

P.S. Most Americans in my experience are oblivious of this system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast