Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: australia's first saint

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    624
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Cruimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    County Londonderry
    Posts
    35,417
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    That is an amazing story - firstly that she not only spoke up but got the priest moved - obviously not laicised - and secondly that she was excommunicated and then re-instated ( or whatever the proper term is ) because they acknowledged that they were in the wrong.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member borntorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    What magic did she do?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Catalpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dublin West
    Posts
    10,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    That is an amazing story - firstly that she not only spoke up but got the priest moved - obviously not laicised - and secondly that she was excommunicated and then re-instated ( or whatever the proper term is ) because they acknowledged that they were in the wrong.
    TBH I would take this report with a grain of salt.

    To be excommunicated she would have to have openly disagreed with a Doctrine of the Faith & refused to recant.

    She might though have well have been kicked out of her Order and left to fend for herself.

    But that is not an Excommunication!

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Cruimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    County Londonderry
    Posts
    35,417
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa View Post
    TBH I would take this report with a grain of salt.

    To be excommunicated she would have to have openly disagreed with a Doctrine of the Faith & refused to recant.

    She might though have well have been kicked out of her Order and left to fend for herself.

    But that is not an Excommunication!
    Been looking - according to this she was excommunicated

    and according to the Order's own website she was excommunicated.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Máistir na Cruinne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    320
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I got the impression from today's Irish Times article that she was being canonised because of her "good works" after being received back into the church, and not because of her role in exposing a paedophile priest for which she was victimised.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member jackryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dublin, but lived in Tipp, Limerick, Kildare, NI, UK & USA
    Posts
    3,681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    She sounds like a gutsy lady!!

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member owedtojoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW of Dublin - Co. Meath
    Posts
    43,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    To be a saint you have to have at least one miracle to your credit ...

    ... obviously, getting back into the church after showing up a priest was her miracle.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Cruimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    County Londonderry
    Posts
    35,417
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Máistir na Cruinne View Post
    I got the impression from today's Irish Times article that she was being canonised because of her "good works" after being received back into the church, and not because of her role in exposing a paedophile priest for which she was victimised.
    I know it's cynical - but I cannot help thinking this is a gesture linked to the abuse scandals.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    524
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    “He was a puppet being manipulated by malicious priests. This sounds terrible, but it’s true.”
    Shouldn't that be "typical", not "terrible"?
    “A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” R. Steiner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •