Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Hobbs 50% rip-off WRONG

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Eddie Hobbs 50% rip-off WRONG

Once again Mr. Hobbs goes for sensationalized figures and misses the point by a mile.

The government told the pharmacists AND wholesalers to cut the prices, guess what the wholesalers haven't.

Mary Harney strong armed the pharmacists into the cuts, the strikes were one day actions so the aul fella 'I only had 2 days' was wrong, he could have got them the day after or the day before.

All people on Long Term Illness books who now due to the recession have a medical card have been switched as the HSE pay NO mark up on GMS prescriptions but pay 20% on LTI.

The price list issued by the HSE will probably be wrong as the generics are usually cheaper than the named brands but pharmacy companies are trying to undercut each other and have slashed their prices at present to wholesalers. Don't worry they wont last at it.

Pharmacies are closing regularly, wages for pharmacists have plummeted 15% or more, and more to the point Harney knows all about it but it is a matter for the HSE.

Would RTE just refer to Brian Cowan as a TD, no he would be refered to as the Taoiseach, give Daragh his due he is the President of the IPU.

When will they do a piece about the 'Mark-up' on soft drinks in pubs, or price fixing at the petrol pumps or the monopoly of Calor in the LPG market.

I for one will not be following Hobbs' advice as until Mary Harney speaks to the pharmacists properly and organizes her bloated adminocracy to sort out how and what they will pay for and how much, then unfortunately pharmacists will have to make their money somewhere.

Maybe if she were to drop the thousands of IVF treatments she pays out for on the drug payment scheme then she would make a real saving.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Samell View Post
    Pharmacies are closing regularly, wages for pharmacists have plummeted 15% or more, and more to the point Harney knows all about it but it is a matter for the HSE.
    I'd suggest any pharmacist who is in difficulty due to income reduction should contact their local community welfare officer for help. Please bear in mind...there might be queue.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In Dublin there are probably more Pharmacies than Spar shops & I have never seen one close so times can't be that tough... Health is a growth sector as people are living longer and relatively recession proof so I am sure they will be ok.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pharmacists mark up is based on wholesaler's list prices. The wholesalers regularly discount these prices to pharmacists but the pharmacists will still invoice the HSE at the list price pocketing the difference, a fact the IPU are keen to avoid discussing.
    The IPU did a deal with Noonan in 1996 to effectively shut out new entrants into the industry. Like the taxi industry they tried to tried for years to live in some kind of sheltered utopia, but the world has moved and they need to realise that consumers are no longer willing to be ripped off to provide them with exorbitent profit levels. Well done Eddie Hobbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica View Post
    In Dublin there are probably more Pharmacies than Spar shops & I have never seen one close so times can't be that tough... Health is a growth sector as people are living longer and relatively recession proof so I am sure they will be ok.
    Actually 2 closed around us (D18) but they had opened fairly recently (last 3 years). Still are 4 in a very small radius and I would expect more rationalisation as margins are squeezed. This btw is not a bad thing unless competition is eliminated altogether.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So the pharmacists are leaving it up to Mary Harney to fix the wholesaler problem?? If it is that much of a problem for the pharmacies then why don't they do something about it?rather than blaming it on Mary Harney cause guess what she won't fix it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I turned on for the news and had the last few minutes of the programme on in the background. Was Eddie calling the bottom of the property market at the end??

P.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought 50% mark-up is the standard in any retail business. Big Mary gets a discount cause she's a bulk buyer(pun intended).

Politics.ie Member gombeennation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

one of eddies pieces of advice was to go to the HSE.ie - Health Service Executive Website - and have a look at the prices you should be paying. well i have scoured the fking thing for the last 40 minutes and i still cant find the price - best of luck grannys!!!!

as usual , another fk up by the HSE ( deliberate or otherwise )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    I thought 50% mark-up is the standard in any retail business. Big Mary gets a discount cause she's a bulk buyer(pun intended).
    Depends on the retail business and the product being sold. You also need to distinguish between mark up (based on cost) and gross margin (based on selling price) so a 50% mark up works out about a 33% gross margin. Some businesses work on a lot more, some on a lot less - much of it depends on volume. Even within the same retail business gross margin will vary between product areas.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast