Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ICTU jobs protest , Dublin , on Wednesday.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ICTU jobs protest , Dublin , on Wednesday.

Is there any danger that nutjobs like Eirigí and others will try to hijack this and turn it nasty ?
    Nonetheless , I think this demo ( timed to coincide with the Dáil resuming from it's " summer " break ) , should be supported by everybody who can.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All demonstrations are at risk of being hijacked by nut jobs.

I have never understood why unions somehow think they speak for the unemployed. The only peoples jobs they care about are their own members and that is how it should be so lets have less of speaking fr the disadvantaged claptrap.

saw the signs advertising this . Said something along the lines of "no to cuts, make the bankers pay" . such populist rubbish. we have no alternative but to cut a lot and raise taxes and be worse off in future. We as a nation lived beyond our means for years and now we must live frugally for years to come. Maybe they mean make central bank board member and ICTU president David Begg pay? With his six figure salary and loads of nixers on the side.

sunny day, lunchtime protest, if people care then ICTU should have tens of thousands at this protest.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't get it... ICTU signed up to the Croke Park Agreement yet are protesting at the cuts that will happen as a result of the Agreement that they agreed to?

Very hypocritical - count me out.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This protest seems to have been organised at the behest of the European Trade Union Confederation who, on the face of it, are exhorting their affiliate unions to protest against cuts by governments across Europe, regardless of how such cuts are being administered by the individual governments of each state.

It seems to be an extraordinarily pointless protest, particularly given (as noted above) the tacit acceptance of government cuts that seemed to be part and parcel of the Croke Park agreement to which ICTU was a signatory.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

anyone know what's going on? just a few civil servants hanging about is it?

Jason O Mahony » Blog Archive » An Occasional Guide to Irish Politics: The Current Affairs “Debate” show.

On tonight’s show we’ll be debating (Insert topical government spending here). Mary, you have a story to tell us?
    Yes I do. I want to know why government policy isn’t rewritten entirely to address my problem?
    John, you’re from a local pressure group?
    I am. It’s a disgrace that national policy is based on population and not on giving the people of my area whatever we want regardless of economic cost.
    Michael, you’re from the opposition?
    That’s correct. Can I just say that this government is worse than Hitler and if we get in everybody will get everything they want because we will buy less staples.
    Maura, you’ve a point?
    Yes. Other people should pay more tax. But I shouldn’t.
    Sorry Mary, you want to add something?
    Yes. All politicians hate little babies and if we had no government jet we would have found the cure to cancer. We need a government of the ordinary people, by which I mean a government that will do exactly what my family wants regardless of cost to anyone else.
    That’s all we have time for. Good night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gayguy2000 View Post
    anyone know what's going on? just a few civil servants hanging about is it?
    Usual union crowd

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How many of these union members have actually lost their jobs? In fact what are the numbers for Union membership and of that number how many are public servants?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast