Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Liveline - gets people out of jail

Politics.ie Member Old Mr Grouser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Liveline - gets people out of jail

I say to my shame that I was just listening to Liveline.

They were discussing the ridiculous situation of a man being imprisoned in Mountjoy for debt; and it was said that the man would be let out in a few days because of the pressure on prison space.

Anyhow Duffy then announces that they've had a message from Mountjoy; the man will be out in 45 minutes.

Is government by phone-in any way to run a country?
    Last edited by Old Mr Grouser; 27th September 2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: spelling, as per David's comment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Mr Grouser View Post
    I say to my shame that I was just listening to Lifeline.

They were discussing the ridiculous situation of a man being imprisoned in Mountjoy for debt; and it was said that the man would be let out in a few days because of the pressure on prison space.

Anyhow Duffy then announces that they've had a message from Mountjoy; the man will be out in 45 minutes.

Is Lifeline not a hangover cure?!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

'government' isn't by 'phone-in'.

Just goes to show that the imprisoning of Pat, was totally over the top and is the wrong policy with regard to non-payment of fines.

ABTW, nothing 'ridiculous' about being in jail for non-payment of fines.
    The hurt of one is the hurt of all, the honour of one is the honour of all.

Native American Indian Traditional Code of Ethics

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The poster means Liveline methinks.........

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It just makes absolutely no economic or social sense at all!

1. Tying up prison spaces which should be for dangerous criminals!
    2. Costs an absolute fortune to the tax payer (circa €100k / year I've heard)
    3. Damages the convicted person's ability to continue work / get future work
    4. Potentially introduces people to dangerous criminals and even drugs while in prison.
    5. The fine STILL remains unpaid!

So, basically the state has ended up spending a lot of money instead of collecting a simple fine! Maddening stuff when you think about it.

Wouldn't a community service order make more sense?!

In the case of a road traffic offense involving speeding etc, perhaps a community service order and a required course on safe driving?

For unpaid tax / no insurance etc - community service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I heard that. The man in question is 30 years old and failed to pay a fine for driving a van without tax. His construction-related business has collapsed, and he's since handed the van back to the leasing company. As a self-employed taxpayer, he's entitled to very little by way of welfare support, is destitute and has been living off handouts from his parents and the community welfare officer.

The system is a mess right now. Judges often don't have the time or inclination to conduct an examination into claims that the person admitting to a minor offence is stoney broke. So the judge, not wanting to allow people walk away regardless of their guilt, issues a relatively small fine. The courts system and Gardai then follow up on this, and it puts the genuinely destitute in a desperate position and facing imprisonment.

Clearly, fines are a useful tool for punishing people without sending them to jail, but there's something rotten about a republic issuing a 250 fine to someone destitute, leading to his or her imprisonment, and issuing a similar fine to someone in employment, who writes it off as a couple of week's worth of disposable income.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To your shame?
    Liveline is about the only thing on RTE worth listening too. What is shameful about listening to Liveline?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Governance by liveline can hardly be worse than governance by Fianna Fail. It seems to be the bastion of justice in this case. Owe the country a billion, get a healthy pension, owe us a ton, get a healthy jail sentence. Sickening.

Not that governance by liveline would be very representative, apparently, many people are to cool to listen to the show. "I thought it was lifeline" yeah.

Politics.ie Member BringBackNavanMan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Proud to be Irish?
    Like rotten mackerel in moonlight, he shines but he stinks

Politics.ie Member BringBackNavanMan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We jail citizens for €240 and pay billions.......
    Like rotten mackerel in moonlight, he shines but he stinks

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast