A new book by Ken Foxe, Public Affairs Correspondent of The Sunday Tribune about political expenses book called Snouts in the Trough which will be published later this week by Gill & Macmillan.
They were all at it
• €21,500 spent by government on one night's stay in a five-star Italian hotel for funeral of Pope
• A deluxe room for Mary Harney had cost €1,200, and another €765 was spent on a room for her private secretary – with all other names blacked out.
• A large suite was booked for President McAleese, and is listed under the name of her husband Martin, at a cost of €3,198
• Enda Kenny, who was a special guest of the government, and for whom a deluxe room was also booked on the bill, which came to €1,200.
• Rooms were also booked on behalf of a number of government advisers and senior civil servants including Mandy Johnston, Wally Young, Olive Melvin and Dermot McCarthy. Those rooms cost a minimum of €740 for "standard" accommodation for the night and up to €1,200 a night for other government officials.
Such was the size of the bill, civil servants queried many of the costs, believing they had been charged excessively.
Hotel room for President cost taxpayer
<Mod> This thread has been merged with "21K - One night in Rome". </Mod>