Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Irene sets sail for Gaza, complete with Holocaust survivor and suicide bomb victim.

  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Irene sets sail for Gaza, complete with Holocaust survivor and suicide bomb victim.

    The impossibility of maintaining the Gaza blockade for much longer is about to be demonstrated again - this time by a Jewish group who set sail today from northern Cyprus heading for Gaza. The boat, Irene, sails under a British flag with 10 passengers and crew. A survivor of the Shoah and a man whose daughter was killed by a Palestinian suicide bomber while out shopping are on board.

    Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Richard Kuper, a member of the UK-based organising group Jews for Justice for Palestinians, said the boat was a symbolic act of protest and also a message of solidarity to "Palestinians and Israelis who seek peace and justice".

    Among the activists is 82-year-old Holocaust survivor Reuven Moskovitz.

    "It is a sacred duty for me, as a [Holocaust] survivor, to protest against the persecution, the oppression and the imprisonment of so many people in Gaza, including more than 800,000 children," he said.

    Another passenger is Rami Elhanan, 60, an Israeli whose daughter Smadar died in a suicide bombing at a shopping centre in Jerusalem in 1997.

    He said reconciliation with the Palestinians was the surest path to peace.

    "Those 1.5 million people in Gaza are victims exactly as I am," he said.
    BBC News - Jewish activists sail to Gaza in defiance of blockade
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Blockade busting lost its appeal?
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Waterford
    Posts
    1,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    This is going to be interesting to watch.

    The pity is, this crew were not involved last time out however, it is a very strong statement by the crew now and I am curious how the pro-Israel/anti-Palestine crew on here will interpret it.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by consultant View Post
    This is going to be interesting to watch.

    The pity is, this crew were not involved last time out however, it is a very strong statement by the crew now and I am curious how the pro-Israel/anti-Palestine crew on here will interpret it.
    There was an other holocaust survivor involved with the previous flotilla, along with a number of other relativley high profile names.

    Gaza Freedom flotilla carried world-renowned names and veteran activists | World news | The Guardian

    Don't know why there was so little press about it previously.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    15,055
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by consultant View Post
    ......I am curious how the pro-Israel/anti-Palestine crew on here will interpret it.

    Wonder no longer. The boat will be escorted to Ashdod just like the others. As, by definition, there are no jihadists on board there will be no violence.

    p.s. At least those activists were honest enough to describe the "aid" they are carrying as a token.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    The impossibility of maintaining the Gaza blockade for much longer is about to be demonstrated again - this time by a Jewish group who set sail today from northern Cyprus heading for Gaza. The boat, Irene, sails under a British flag with 10 passengers and crew. A survivor of the Shoah and a man whose daughter was killed by a Palestinian suicide bomber while out shopping are on board.



    BBC News - Jewish activists sail to Gaza in defiance of blockade
    The best of luck to them; they're gonna need it when they encounter the nasty bunch of terrorists, hijackers, kidnappers & murderers that is the brave IDF:

    Jewish boat to Gaza sets sail from Cyprus

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    15,055
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarnivalOfAction View Post
    The best of luck to them; they're gonna need it when they encounter the nasty bunch of terrorists, hijackers, kidnappers & murderers that is the brave IDF:

    Jewish boat to Gaza sets sail from Cyprus


    Stand by for the kid gloves treatment of non-jihadists. As for the Fiachras and Caoimhes,
    well they are just loudmouths who should go and get themselves a job.

  8. #8
    MrFunkyBoogaloo
    Guest

    Default

    The very best of luck to them. I'll be watching closely.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    15,055
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrFunkyBoogaloo View Post
    I'll be watching closely.


    .......and the Skibbereen Eagle also I will be bound.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member stoichkov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,508
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trampas View Post
    Wonder no longer. The boat will be escorted to Ashdod just like the others. As, by definition, there are no jihadists on board there will be no violence.
    it would be somewhat more honest to say that there will (probably) be no violence this time because even the IDF psychos have just enough brainpower to realise that shooting up a second boatload of people would be a colossal PR disaster.

    then again, you can't rule out anything with these guys, as we saw four months ago and on many other occasions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •