Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is it about this Luggage ad that is bothering me?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What is it about this Luggage ad that is bothering me?

What is it about this ad that is bothering me?

Is it the use of Africa as a background, giving the impression that Bono and his wife are intrepidly visiting a wilderness, with only a photographer, stylist and lighting crew to protect them from the wild beasts?

I know I know, it's just an ad.

But I thought one of the problems which Africans have to deal with is that westerners perceive them as coming from a place which is not quite civilised, which has to be "explored" and "tamed". I would have thought that an "Activist" like Bono would be wary of spreading this cliched and outdated view of Africa.

But it can't just be that, can it? Is there something else that I'm missing?

Pilot made a ropey landing as look at all the grass around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I always admired and respected Ali for staying out of the limelight - other than to promote her charitable work. Not anymore. Plus, she's naturally a very good looking woman but the air-brusher has really gone to town on both her and her husband. I woudln't have recognised her in that pic.

It has to be a lie as Bono is such a god that he walks on water and can be omnipresent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post
    It has to be a lie as Bono is such a god that he walks on water and can be omnipresent.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Interista View Post
    the air-brusher has really gone to town on both her and her husband. I woudln't have recognised her in that pic.
    There something odd about her waist alright.

Politics.ie Member seabhac siulach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stripey cat View Post
    What is it about this ad that is bothering me?
    The question one could ask is, why would Bono need the money? Why the need to whor...I mean, sell himself in this way?
    Are we to presume that the money he makes from the ad is to be used for African poverty relief, from the cynical use of Africa as a backdrop? Are we expected to make the connection with his 'aid' efforts? Given the use of Africa as a backdrop, can we presume that he will donate all the money from this cynical stunt to good causes? No, I would guess not...

Quote Originally Posted by Dredger View Post
    Oh for a ferry going by

or a DREDGER

Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ZOMG! Do those LV's have the beige trim? I think they do! God, how vulgar. Clearly you can take the northsider out of the northside etc.

People should leave Boner the hell alone. Yes, he is full of it, is a bit of a hypocrite and his music has sucked for about 20 years. But nonetheless he and his band have done more good for the image and sense of identity of this country as anyone in my lifetime. The biggest rock band in the world for 20 years has been Irish. You'll miss that when it's gone. Might never happen again. The country is infinitely better for their having been around.

And by the way, when you guys become rock stars and your accountant tells you to siuniu on the line to save X% in tax in an instant, do report back and tell us how good it felt to refuse on principle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And by the way, when you guys become rock stars and your accountant tells you to siuniu on the line to save X% in tax in an instant, do report back and tell us how good it felt to refuse on principle.
    I might not have the time: I"d be too busy cosying up to various war-mongering world leaders and CeOs, telling them to spend their own taxpayers' money on forgiving African debt.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast