Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Ireland spends more on health than UK, Finland

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member SlabMurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Mainland
    Posts
    1,691
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Ireland spends more on health than UK, Finland

    Watching a recording of the Vincent Brown show mid week, Constantin Gurdgiev was on and he replied to some do gooder about the so called ' lack of resources ' for the HSE. Gurdgiev stated that - " Ireland spends 8.8% of national income on health, Sweden 9.1%, UK 8.4% and Finland 8.2% ". The do gooder challenged him and he told the do gooder he could check it out at the Central Satistics Office.

    So why do we have such a terrible health service. Ok most of us know the answer - except the HSE leeches and the Workers fo the World Unite loonies - that the staff have milked the country dry. If I remember reading a year or two ago that ambulance crews in Ireland earn more than consultant doctors in Finland

    And then of course just like other public ' servants ' since they get buckets of time off due to shift work ( to overcome the stress of their selfless heroism and humanity etc, etc ) many of them are off driving taxi's etc

    Since the Govt. have created this Frankeinstein - what can be done to get a decent health service in this country and get those leeches to do a day's work like the rest of us ?

  2. #2

    Default

    Up to 70% of health budget is for pay.

    Health budget to be slashed by €600m | The Post

    I would like to know what it is like in other EU countries.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern manís existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

    "Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The problem is that the administration and management is bloated with pencil pushers who play tetris on their pc's all day. It has little to do with Doctors, Nurses or service in general at hospitals.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member LeDroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,771
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Privatise the Entire Health Service. Sell everything. The workers are then accountable to their commercial bosses first avd then their customers too. Right now, they get paid no matter how sh!t they are and can't be fired. Why would they change?

    The Govt should restrict itself to buying insurance for the poorest third of the population, licensing the hospitals and regulating their hygiene and safety.

    Result: better outcomes and service for patients. And a govt bill of about €5Billion as opposed to €15Billion today.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    We spend 8.8% of GDP on health - but a huge chunk of that is on vastly overpriced GPs and consultants.

    A GP gets paid 60 euro a go in cash. They see patients for about 20min on average for that money. 5 patients and hour, 8-10 hours, 5-6 days a week. Thats 15,000 euro a week. If they work, say, 46 weeks a year, they pull in 700,000 in cash per year.

    The average GP has one or two members of staff, usually relatively low paid, and pay rent or mortgage on their place of work. Even discounting this, they are taking in at least 400k to their own pocket, in cash.

    Of course, every cent is fully declared to the tax authorities.

    Irish GPs earn about 5 times what UK NHS GPs earn. Thats a big part of why we spend more of our GDP on health for the same or worse result.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member LeDroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,771
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    We spend 8.8% of GDP on health - but a huge chunk of that is on vastly overpriced GPs and consultants.

    A GP gets paid 60 euro a go in cash. They see patients for about 20min on average for that money. 5 patients and hour, 8-10 hours, 5-6 days a week. Thats 15,000 euro a week. If they work, say, 46 weeks a year, they pull in 700,000 in cash per year.

    The average GP has one or two members of staff, usually relatively low paid, and pay rent or mortgage on their place of work. Even discounting this, they are taking in at least 400k to their own pocket, in cash.

    Of course, every cent is fully declared to the tax authorities.

    Irish GPs earn about 5 times what UK NHS GPs earn. Thats a big part of why we spend more of our GDP on health for the same or worse result.
    The State isn't paying that €60 per visit. That's private income. So it's a complete red herring. The State's money is where we need to save.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeDroit View Post
    The State isn't paying that €60 per visit. That's private income. So it's a complete red herring. The State's money is where we need to save.
    The thread is about the fraction of GDP spent on health. That includes private care.

    If the state were to offer partial refunds on GP visits, as in France, they would actually make money, as it would be harder for GPs to hide cash income.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member LeDroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,771
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    The thread is about the fraction of GDP spent on health. That includes private care.

    If the state were to offer partial refunds on GP visits, as in France, they would actually make money, as it would be harder for GPs to hide cash income.
    If the State paid more they'd earn more? Now that's Voodoo economics! You Statist lads can come up with a million ways to spend taxpayers money can't ye?!
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member darkhorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the hills with the daughters of Lenin
    Posts
    18,210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The table shows total expenditure by country in 2007.
    If you remove the private expenditure component, Ireland is among the highest spending nations of the world - with perhaps only Luxembourg, Netherlands, Denmark, Norwat and Belguim spending more.



  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeDroit View Post
    If the State paid more they'd earn more? Now that's Voodoo economics! You Statist lads can come up with a million ways to spend taxpayers money can't ye?!
    Yes.

    The state currently offers a tax refund on rent. To claim this refund, the renter must provide the name, address and PPS number of the person they pay rent to.

    Why? So that the tax man can enforce the laws on tax for rental income. Its completely logical.

    If the state offered a rebate on GP visits, it would force GP income into the tax net. Currently they take in Ä700,000 undocumented cash, and decide themselves how much to declare to the tax man. But I'm sure you agree that every single GP in the country is fully tax compliant already...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •