Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Only 1.5% of Britons claim to be gay or bisexual

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Only 1.5% of Britons claim to be gay or bisexual

Quite shocked at this survey. Of course the IT headline is lobby queries the survey not the survey itself.

Lobby queries poll finding that 1.5% of Britons claim to be gay or bisexual - The Irish Times - Fri, Sep 24, 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    Gay lobby claims most gays are liars?

:-?
    lol

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The recent Irish Times survey on Sex and Society, had 96% declare themselves hetrosexual, with the remainder divided as gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, transgender, asexual, and would not say.

So between 1.5% to 4% is the range. 1 in 25 to 1 in 66 seems very low to me, based on number of students in my classes in school and college, the number of gay co-workers and the number of "straight" who have chatted me up etc.
    Poll details: the results and how the poll was compiled - The Irish Times - Wed, Sep 15, 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quite shocked at this survey. Of course the IT headline is lobby queries the survey not the survey itself.
    Quite right too. Most studies on sexual matters are unreliable because of the sensitive nature of the subject, but this particular 'survey' was done so unscientifically as to be almost worthless - phoning strangers at home and asking them about their sexuality doesn't seem very professional to me.

That said, I've always suspected that the '1 in 10' figure bandied about is much too high. Even allowing for the fact that many gays don't go around telling people they're gay, and that our 'gaydar' often isn't as smart as we think it is, I just do not believe thaa 10% of the population is exclusively, or even partially, homosexual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Interista View Post
    Quite right too. Most studies on sexual matters are unreliable because of the sensitive nature of the subject, but this particular 'survey' was done so unscientifically as to be almost worthless - phoning strangers at home and asking them about their sexuality doesn't seem very professional to me.

That said, I've always suspected that the '1 in 10' figure bandied about is much too high. Even allowing for the fact that many gays don't go around telling people they're gay, and that our 'gaydar' often isn't as smart as we think it is, I just do not believe thaa 10% of the population is exclusively, or even partially, homosexual.
    You do realise that your "intuition" as to the actual percentage is about as scientific as the survey. Just saying is all.
    Last edited by corelli; 26th September 2010 at 04:45 PM.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ne0ica View Post

Lobby queries poll finding that 1.5% of Britons claim to be gay or bisexual - The Irish Times - Fri, Sep 24, 2010
    The rest were too drunk and/or hungover to deal with surveys?
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corelli View Post
    You do realise that your "intuition" as to the actual percentage is about as scientific as the survey. Just saying is all.
    Of course. But where did I claim otherwise? I don't think that what you call my 'intuition' is being featured as a scientific study in national newspapers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Interista View Post
    Of course. But where did I claim otherwise? I don't think that what you call my 'intuition' is being featured as a scientific study in national newspapers.
    I think that that was the point that the Irish Times were also attempting to make, no?
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corelli View Post
    I think that that was the point that the Irish Times were also attempting to make, no?
    Not really. It seemed like a fairly balanced report to me, making references to criticisms of the study as well as the defence offered by those who commissioned it.

This bit is interesting:

Their age profile is also much younger than the rest of the population, with 66 per cent under the age of 44 and 17 per cent aged between 16 and 24
    It seems unlikely that people under 44 are somehow much more likely to be gay than those over that age. What is likely, however, is that they're more likely to admit to being gay to a complete stranger. Which illustrates the shortcomings of this study - basing statistics on self-identification is very dodgy, especially when done by a stranger over the phone.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast