Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My Reunion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default My Reunion

I went to an informal college reunion last night. Sufficed to say I'm surviving on Zantac and Solpadeine today. Anyway, I digress. There were approx twenty of my old classmates there. We're all in our late 30s. We all enjoyed the fruits of the Tiger and, like most people, felt invincible, that it would go on forever, so without exception we all have massive mortgages and huge business loans. However, all that optimism has long since evaporated. But it was such a psychological lift to see the old faces.

After the initial guarded banter, 'Sure I'm grand, how are you yourself?', a couple of drinks loosened tongues. It was terrifying. Of the twenty or so there approx half are emigrating after Christmas. Not thinking of it, but actually doing it, planned and organised. All have their houses on the market but most said if they don't sell and they can't rent them, feck it, they were going to hand back the keys and default. I was stunned. Genuinely. It had never occurred to me that these people would even be capable of this kind of talk but the consensus was that the country was so fecked, that it was bound to dump the mess onto the taxpaying middle classes and they simply weren't willing to sacrifice their and their kids futures on bailing out the mess. These are people in their late thirties with kids! I couldn't believe there was so much consensus. As you may know I have tentatively been looking at the option myself but most of my old classmates aren't tentative at all, plans made, houses on the market and jobs organised. These people would have been high earners, some are still although much less than three years ago, so I was a little taken aback but the confirmed mood of them all was that our situation is irredeemable, we have no viable way out and it's every man for himself.

This morning is a hangover in more ways than one, and I would discount the comments as drunken ramblings were it not for the detail in the plans- countries decided upon, tax rates discussed, jobs set up, schools investigated- so now I'm left thinking, am I the fool who hasn't copped on yet?!

If these guys, and earners like them, leave the tax pool our tax receipts are going to collapse. The exchequer deficit will worsen. I'm certainly more pessimistic of our chances this morning than I was yesterday morning.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ireland: the land of civil servants, retired civil servants, the unemployed, low quality immigrants who like our social welfare system and travellers.

Oh and all their sprogs.

I'd say there'll be plenty of business opportunities servicing welfare recipients: low cost booze, drugs (as we saw with the recent head shop phenomenon), baby equipment, gambling, personal injury claims and 2 week holidays in Playa de Ingles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a case of rats from a sinking ship

These boyos did well in the Good Times and now intend to cut and run when the vessel they were so happy to be on hits the rocks...

Leaving the other passengers to Sink or Swim!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Modern communications (internet and low-cost airlines) facilitate economic mobility like never before.

Ireland needs a landed 1% and the remaining 99% in continual debt and totally dependant on the 1% to maintain any kind of social order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa View Post

These boyos did well in the Good Times and now intend to cut and run when the vessel they were so happy to be on hits the rocks...

I suppose it's everyman and woman for themselves. You can't expect people to suffer a crappy life when they have an option not to, but I was honestly blown away by both the numbers doing it and the depth of the planning. Once one person broke the Omertà everyone joined in. There was active discussion on the best schools to go to, the best tax rates available, where to get language lessons beforehand, it was damn scary.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa View Post

The captain is drunk at the wheel and thinks paying for the cargo is more important than avoiding the rocks. Time to hoist the Jolly Roger and change course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeDroit View Post
    I went to an informal college reunion last night. Sufficed to say I'm surviving on Zantac and Solpadeine today. Anyway, I digress. There were approx twenty of my old classmates there. We're all in our late 30s. We all enjoyed the fruits of the Tiger and, like most people, felt invincible, that it would go on forever, so without exception we all have massive mortgages and huge business loans. However, all that optimism has long since evaporated. But it was such a psychological lift to see the old faces.

After the initial guarded banter, 'Sure I'm grand, how are you yourself?', a couple of drinks loosened tongues. It was terrifying. Of the twenty or so there approx half are emigrating after Christmas. Not thinking of it, but actually doing it, planned and organised. All have their houses on the market but most said if they don't sell and they can't rent them, feck it, they were going to hand back the keys and default. I was stunned. Genuinely. It had never occurred to me that these people would even be capable of this kind of talk but the consensus was that the country was so fecked, that it was bound to dump the mess onto the taxpaying middle classes and they simply weren't willing to sacrifice their and their kids futures on bailing out the mess. These are people in their late thirties with kids! I couldn't believe there was so much consensus. As you may know I have tentatively been looking at the option myself but most of my old classmates aren't tentative at all, plans made, houses on the market and jobs organised. These people would have been high earners, some are still although much less than three years ago, so I was a little taken aback but the confirmed mood of them all was that our situation is irredeemable, we have no viable way out and it's every man for himself.

This morning is a hangover in more ways than one, and I would discount the comments as drunken ramblings were it not for the detail in the plans- countries decided upon, tax rates discussed, jobs set up, schools investigated- so now I'm left thinking, am I the fool who hasn't copped on yet?!

If these guys, and earners like them, leave the tax pool our tax receipts are going to collapse. The exchequer deficit will worsen. I'm certainly more pessimistic of our chances this morning than I was yesterday morning.
    Sound just like the conceited corrupt wannabe's from the Celtic Tiger era. They were the ones who voted and supported FF/PD regardless of scandal after scandal after scandal. They had and always will have rotten and corrupt values. And as for their " the tax pool our tax receipts are going to collapse ", their are plenty of young and eager graduates to take their place. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Simples.
    Last edited by SlabMurphy; 26th September 2010 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlabMurphy View Post
    Sound just like the conceited corrupt wannabe's from the Celtic Tiger era. They were the ones who voted and supported FF/PD regardless of scandal after scandal after scandal. They had and always will have rotten and corrupt values, good riddance to bad rubbish. And as for their " the tax pool our tax receipts are going to collapse ", their are plenty of young and eager graduates to take their place.

Simples.
    Bless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TradCat View Post
    The captain is drunk at the wheel and thinks paying for the cargo is more important than avoiding the rocks. Time to hoist the Jolly Roger and change course.
    Well put. A start would be to introduce much better organisation and sophistication into the black economy. It is clear to everyone who cares to look at the facts and figures that the old economy can only wind down and good riddance. We should start working on the new one as soon as possible and to hell with the old one and the parasites who flourish on it. We need to get some real free enterprise dynamics going. Also important is how to gradually bring everyone across and keep them on-side, in particular, the Gardai and army, and those who are very bright and hard working.
    Last edited by roc_; 26th September 2010 at 01:14 PM.
    “Words are animals, alive with a will of their own”.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Black Economy is flourishing. No one paid the restaurant bill with a credit card last night.

Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast