Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talking down the Economy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Talking down the Economy

Irish response to crisis will make economy stall - Business News, Business - The Independent

Quote "Economist David McWilliams, who is credited with being the first to predict Ireland's financial problems, said: "For me as an Irish citizen, this is like watching a slow car crash. The more they cut, the more the economy will continue to stagnate. The Irish government seems to think they can emote the economy to life by sloganeering, but people who don't understand economics have taken over."

Sloganeering now theres a word, I think the word lying would have sufficed.

This economy is impossible. Through tax, debt and imports the multiplier of consumption is less than 1. No matter what someone spends less is added to the real economy.
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jees you're an early riser Richie! I think they should start using reverse phycology. Eg. Cowen tells us not to spend rather than to spend...would probably have the reverse affect because when I heard Cowen wanted us to spend and yet is cutting all sorts in the next budget that made me think to myself 'I'm not going to spend a fricking penny'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Irish View Post
    Jees you're an early riser Richie! I think they should start using reverse phycology. Eg. Cowen tells us not to spend rather than to spend...would probably have the reverse affect because when I heard Cowen wanted us to spend and yet is cutting all sorts in the next budget that made me think to myself 'I'm not going to spend a fricking penny'
    I am waiting until April1st

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shhhhh don't upset FF, they don't like their gross incompetence being pointed out to them. They're very sensitive. The poor dears

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"'Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide"

??????????????????????????????/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The boom times are getting boomier!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This line describes things quite well

"The Irish government is using the bond markets as a financial skip into which it wants to put all the financial sins of the politicians. But the bond markets are saying either you can have your banking bail out or your welfare state – you choose."
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have spent the last hour being positive and I'm still broke! The bottom line is what counts. Talk is cheap, ask the politicians.

Politics.ie Member
    Between Earth and the Twillight Zone known as Ireland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To me the notion of talking down the economy is akin to riding for chastity i.e. Utterly meaningless and full of irony....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast