Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 533

Thread: Should the "Crown" apologize

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Crook County
    Posts
    2,164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Should the "Crown" apologize

    The US has offered compensation to the Japanese for American internment of Japanese Americans during WW2. They have also accepted that the treatment of African Americans throughout their history has been appalling and have spent the last few decades trying to correct and compensate for this wrongdoing.
    There has been "truth and reconciliation" in South Africa and the Germans have accepted responsibility for their actions during WW2.

    Given these examples of nations standing up and accepting responsibility for their horrific past actions, why then has "the Crown" not had the foresight and more importantly, the decency to admit and take ownership of their past atrocities here and throughout the rest of the world?

    Just wondering.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member picador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Béal Feirste
    Posts
    20,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murf13 View Post
    The US has offered compensation to the Japanese for American internment of Japanese Americans during WW2. They have also accepted that the treatment of African Americans throughout their history has been appalling and have spent the last few decades trying to correct and compensate for this wrongdoing.
    There has been "truth and reconciliation" in South Africa and the Germans have accepted responsibility for their actions during WW2.

    Given these examples of nations standing up and accepting responsibility for their horrific past actions, why then has "the Crown" not had the foresight and more importantly, the decency to admit and take ownership of their past atrocities here and throughout the rest of the world?

    Just wondering.
    Cos if they admitted liability they would have to pay compensation.
    The Empire's Over - Why Don't You Go Home?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member ne0ica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The West
    Posts
    8,380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Yes. Its time Britian matured as a nation and apologised for its colonial past in Ireland.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member nonpartyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    A bit like here, they treated their own "subjects" just as badly , unless you were part of the "establishment".

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Should the queen visit Ireland, I think the matter would be unavoidable and some sort of apology would be made.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    55,716
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murf13 View Post
    The US has offered compensation to the Japanese for American internment of Japanese Americans during WW2. They have also accepted that the treatment of African Americans throughout their history has been appalling and have spent the last few decades trying to correct and compensate for this wrongdoing.
    There has been "truth and reconciliation" in South Africa and the Germans have accepted responsibility for their actions during WW2.

    Given these examples of nations standing up and accepting responsibility for their horrific past actions, why then has "the Crown" not had the foresight and more importantly, the decency to admit and take ownership of their past atrocities here and throughout the rest of the world?

    Just wondering.
    Or perhaps the French should apologise to us since it was the Norman French who invaded England and then moved on to us. Or, since the Norman French were Viking in origin, why not go after the Skandies for an apology. If you follow this route everybody apologises to everyone else - it's history, different times, different standards - we have enough issues of current importance to be getting on with.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    What good would it do? Most people have bigger problems than remembering old grudges and polishing the chip on the shoulder - get over it.
    The best way to see Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Ifor Bach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    10,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ne0ica View Post
    Yes. Its time Britian matured as a nation and apologised for its colonial past in Ireland.
    Isn't it time Ireland matured as a nation and stopped going for gold at the Victim's Olympics?

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Crook County
    Posts
    2,164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Or perhaps the French should apologise to us since it was the Norman French who invaded England and then moved on to us. Or, since the Norman French were Viking in origin, why not go after the Skandies for an apology. If you follow this route everybody apologises to everyone else - it's history, different times, different standards - we have enough issues of current importance to be getting on with.

    Perhaps the French should.
    May I suggest that you start a thread about it on an appropriate forum.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    We need to stop thinking like victims and acting like victims and take a more positive perspective of where we are as a nation.

    Things are not as bad as they seem.

    We have a lot to be proud of and we should focus on that.
    I am Kilrain of the 20th Maine and I damn all gentlemen
    Whose only worth is their father's name and the sweat of a workin' man

Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •