Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mary Harney...Are you looking???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mary Harney...Are you looking???

From todays Irish Times(25th Sept 2010)

Madam, On our recent holiday to your country, my wife had to visit Accident Emergency at Cork University Hospital. The clinical and nursing care was first class but the treatment of patients was distinctly third world.

My wife spent three days and two nights in the corridors of A E. The latter were spent on a trolley. She was not the only one and those being treated thus ranged from the very young to the very old. It was clear that this treatment of patients was routine and is absolutely shameful.

Or is this a matter for the HSE?

The Irish Times - Letters
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by controller View Post

Madam, – On our recent holiday to your country, my wife had to visit Accident Emergency at Cork University Hospital. The clinical and nursing care was first class but the treatment of patients was distinctly third world.

My wife spent three days and two nights in the corridors of A E. The latter were spent on a trolley. She was not the only one and those being treated thus ranged from the very young to the very old. It was clear that this treatment of patients was routine and is absolutely shameful.

Why should they change or improve? They have no competition and get paid whether they offer a good or bad service. There's simply no need to do anything more or different from their point of view. We spend 25% of ALL govt expenditure on Health. It's an unresponsive, unaccountable money pit.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by controller View Post

Madam, – On our recent holiday to your country, my wife had to visit Accident Emergency at Cork University Hospital. The clinical and nursing care was first class but the treatment of patients was distinctly third world.

Good job she didn't have to go to A&E when she was back in the UK.

Man who died on trolley 'victim of NHS budget cuts' - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Third World?

A picture of a hospital ward in Uganda:

A picture of a hospital ward in Ireland:

A birthing suite at Cork University Hospital:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sondagefaux View Post
    Third World?

A picture of a hospital ward in Ireland:

She never got to the ward, she was on a trolley.
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

this is a non story......

decisions were made........

why no travel insurance?....

what about the beacon or hermitage a+e?........

the problem is clear.....people with insurance should not be in public a+e wards....no excuse.....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeDroit View Post
    Why should they change or improve? They have no competition...
    Of course competition exists. But the competition, the private A&E's, close around 10PM and only deal with minor injuries and illnesses. In the "competitive" battle for market share, the public A&Es seem to be where the customer base want to go. Their competitive edge might be their wider menu of service offerings (i.e. injuries and illnesses greater than minor), and service availability (round-the-clock opening hours).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OCicero View Post
    Of course competition exists. But the competition, the private A&E's, close around 10PM and only deal with minor injuries and illnesses. In the "competitive" battle for market share, the public A&Es seem to be where the customer base want to go. Their competitive edge might be their wider menu of service offerings (i.e. injuries and illnesses greater than minor), and service availability (round-the-clock opening hours).
    There's no comparable competition as you say. The State supported hospitals are so heavily funded it means nobody can compete. All hospitals should be sold off. Then Vincents, the Mater and James' can compete with each other. Best service will attract the patients. No patient, no fee. That's competition. That'll improve the service.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Best service will attract the patients. No patient, no fee. That's competition.
    How do propose to measure 'best service'? How do propose to empower patients to make the decision to choose between competing providers?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The State supported hospitals are so heavily funded it means nobody can compete.
    The private A&Es can compete with flexibility and service and efficiency. If there's solid money to be made investment will pour into the private A&Es.

But they need to be flexible (24 hours) and offer the range of services that their customers may want (e.g. patching you up after being hit by a bus).

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast