Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 85

Thread: Mary Harney...Are you looking???

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member controller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Mary Harney...Are you looking???

    From todays Irish Times(25th Sept 2010)

    Madam, On our recent holiday to your country, my wife had to visit Accident Emergency at Cork University Hospital. The clinical and nursing care was first class but the treatment of patients was distinctly third world.

    My wife spent three days and two nights in the corridors of A E. The latter were spent on a trolley. She was not the only one and those being treated thus ranged from the very young to the very old. It was clear that this treatment of patients was routine and is absolutely shameful.

    Or is this a matter for the HSE?

    The Irish Times - Letters
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member LeDroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,771
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by controller View Post
    From todays Irish Times(25th Sept 2010)

    Madam, – On our recent holiday to your country, my wife had to visit Accident Emergency at Cork University Hospital. The clinical and nursing care was first class but the treatment of patients was distinctly third world.

    My wife spent three days and two nights in the corridors of A E. The latter were spent on a trolley. She was not the only one and those being treated thus ranged from the very young to the very old. It was clear that this treatment of patients was routine and is absolutely shameful.

    Or is this a matter for the HSE?

    The Irish Times - Letters
    Why should they change or improve? They have no competition and get paid whether they offer a good or bad service. There's simply no need to do anything more or different from their point of view. We spend 25% of ALL govt expenditure on Health. It's an unresponsive, unaccountable money pit.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,952
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by controller View Post
    From todays Irish Times(25th Sept 2010)

    Madam, – On our recent holiday to your country, my wife had to visit Accident Emergency at Cork University Hospital. The clinical and nursing care was first class but the treatment of patients was distinctly third world.

    My wife spent three days and two nights in the corridors of A E. The latter were spent on a trolley. She was not the only one and those being treated thus ranged from the very young to the very old. It was clear that this treatment of patients was routine and is absolutely shameful.

    Or is this a matter for the HSE?

    The Irish Times - Letters
    Good job she didn't have to go to A&E when she was back in the UK.

    Man who died on trolley 'victim of NHS budget cuts' - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member sondagefaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    15,078
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Third World?

    A picture of a hospital ward in Uganda:



    A picture of a hospital ward in Ireland:



    A birthing suite at Cork University Hospital:


  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member controller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sondagefaux View Post
    Third World?

    A picture of a hospital ward in Ireland:

    She never got to the ward, she was on a trolley.
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    this is a non story......

    decisions were made........

    why no travel insurance?....

    what about the beacon or hermitage a+e?........

    the problem is clear.....people with insurance should not be in public a+e wards....no excuse.....

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    754
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeDroit View Post
    Why should they change or improve? They have no competition...
    Of course competition exists. But the competition, the private A&E's, close around 10PM and only deal with minor injuries and illnesses. In the "competitive" battle for market share, the public A&Es seem to be where the customer base want to go. Their competitive edge might be their wider menu of service offerings (i.e. injuries and illnesses greater than minor), and service availability (round-the-clock opening hours).

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member LeDroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,771
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OCicero View Post
    Of course competition exists. But the competition, the private A&E's, close around 10PM and only deal with minor injuries and illnesses. In the "competitive" battle for market share, the public A&Es seem to be where the customer base want to go. Their competitive edge might be their wider menu of service offerings (i.e. injuries and illnesses greater than minor), and service availability (round-the-clock opening hours).
    There's no comparable competition as you say. The State supported hospitals are so heavily funded it means nobody can compete. All hospitals should be sold off. Then Vincents, the Mater and James' can compete with each other. Best service will attract the patients. No patient, no fee. That's competition. That'll improve the service.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,552
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeDroit View Post
    Best service will attract the patients. No patient, no fee. That's competition.
    How do propose to measure 'best service'? How do propose to empower patients to make the decision to choose between competing providers?

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    754
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeDroit View Post
    The State supported hospitals are so heavily funded it means nobody can compete.
    The private A&Es can compete with flexibility and service and efficiency. If there's solid money to be made investment will pour into the private A&Es.

    But they need to be flexible (24 hours) and offer the range of services that their customers may want (e.g. patching you up after being hit by a bus).

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •