Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Sacked ministers get €25,000 to soften blow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Sacked ministers get €25,000 to soften blow

SEVEN junior ministers sacked last year by Taoiseach Brian Cowen to save money were handed "golden parachutes" of about €25,000 each to soften the blow, with more payments due this year.
    Sacked ministers get €25,000 to soften blow - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Ministers are to get more while the public get taxed......
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do you expect?

There laughing at us, if we dont stop them they will just carry on.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do not forget that Willie O'Dea got a 100K payoff when he was forced to resign.

This, of course, covered the amount he had to pay the man he slandered.
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This should be made aware to everyone in any election campaign.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its a ridiculous situation. Politicians are so overpaid in this country it is ridiculous.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
    nothing"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...8322900&ref=ts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would it be unethical of me to rally against all of this type of cronyism and still go for election so that I could secure a ministerial post?? Or would that just make me a typical Irish politician??
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The truth here is what people dont realise is. If government sacks them, the victims can sue the state and it would run into millions, not thousands. They have alot of money and can hire good lawyers. I agree with the system being ridiculous with pay. I would prefer the approach of getting rid of them pronto with packet but didnt realise they get more. 25,000 is a years salary for alot of people in this country. But its better than them suing the state for thousands or millions.

I hate it as much as you do. I wish they reduce the pay but they cant as they would abuse the contracts. It way too much in these times. They also seriously need to reduce the wages, I mean minimum wage as its ridiculously high and they can create jobs. Unfortunately, it leaves people in positions with high rates of morgages, etc who bought things during boom. The truth is buying a house is a risk anyway as its also an investment. Its complicated.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there any other job in the civilised world where you can get fired at a day's notice, and have your pay be cut by 40%, for no reason?

If you were earning €140k in the private sector, and you were suddenly demoted for reasons that had nothing to do with your performance, and your pay dropped to €90k, and you weren't given any sort of redundancy or parachute money, would you just sit back and take it?
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by goosebump View Post
    Is there any other job in the civilised world where you can get fired at a day's notice, and have your pay be cut by 40%, for no reason?

If you were earning €140k in the private sector, and you were suddenly demoted for reasons that had nothing to do with your performance, and your pay dropped to €90k, and you weren't given any sort of redundancy or parachute money, would you just sit back and take it?
    This one quit and was not sacked.....

New figures released last night also showed former Ceann Comhairle John O’Donoghue, who quit last year amid uproar over his expenses, walked away with €18,481 in the first instalment of a “golden parachute” – and he is due more cash.
    and this one

A former Attorney General, ex-AIB chairman Dermot Gleeson, who stepped down from his position in the bank last year, received a pension payment of €50,899.