Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Culture Night-Just the Tonic

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Culture Night-Just the Tonic

Has anybody been out and about enjoying the various events up and down the country for Culture Night. I was out in Cork City and saw some art, heard some music, watched a film and listened to some poetry. All very enjoyable, but more rewarding, I thought, was seeing and meeting different people, young and old, all enjoying positive aspects of Irish cultural life; everybody sharing something that was made very accessible and inclusive.

It was encouraging to see, and a good tonic against all the doom and gloom about right now. Well done to the organisers and the artists involved. There was so much to see I think next year they should try and make a Culture Weekend of it. In fact, as Van Morrison said at the end of that song about Coney Island, "wouldn't it be great if it could be like this all the time?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes very enjyable, but it's a pity that the venues do not stay open later, say until 2.00am. Also it is a perfect oppurtunity to ban all motor vehicles from city centres from 5.00 pm and have all public transpoert free all day. Would help to change peoples mindsets and would definetly be a tourist attraction.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good ideas with longer hours and no cars about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was in Inchicore watching Dundalk take on St. Pats.

Well it's my culture anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I was in Inchicore watching Dundalk take on St. Pats.

Well it's my culture anyway.
    Who won WH ? I'd say my brother was there too, the mad Pats head he is.
    Redacted.

i made 3 events to night in dublin, GPO museum, Custom house, Jameson brewery, TCD (library) and writers museum. My god never realised custom house has so much history. On regular day this may cost at least 30 yoyo. Its free and good family fun day. Why can't we do it twice yearly across the country so many families out to night...
    Signature censored!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Given that we are bereft of the likes of Pavel Lisitsian, "culture nights" mean very little to me.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I went in to Leinster House.
    I was in the Dáil chamber, went "through the lobbies", as they say, then went down to the Seanad chamber and sat in one of the seats (we all did) - not allowed sit in the Dáil though

Afterwards, down to Leinster House 2000 (the new wing) for a nice cup of coffee and some rather odd singing from a womens choir.

Olivia Mitchell was with some of her constituents and I saw a rather grumpy looking Paul Gogarty as well. He looked pressured, it has to be said!

Politics.ie Member evercloserunion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I missed it unfortunately. But I think it's a very good idea. These have been going on for a while now, but they seem to be getting more popular. Let's hope it continues.
    To live honestly, to hurt no one, to give every one his due.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its a great idea and should be on all weekend. Following that Arthurs Day thing it would generate millions every year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast