Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Will the ban on corporate donations be in place in time for the next GE?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Will the ban on corporate donations be in place in time for the next GE?

Much as I'd like to see it, I don't think it's going to happen myself.

My hunch is that this bit of legislation is one of the things the GP are pushing for, possibly in return for securing their vote against upcoming nasty's - next weeks pro/anti democracy by-election vote to start with.

Having sold their souls, I could see them being allowed to launch the Donation's ban in the dail , but losing the bill thanks to FF "allowing" some of the indo's to vote against.

The government will fall sometime, but not on this issue. So when the election comes round, it will be business (literally) as usual.
    “A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” R. Steiner

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The political donations ban has always been the GP exit card. It will be defeated at second stage like the Land and Conveyancing Law Reform bill and that is when the GP will pull the plug and push for a survival vote.

The question is how will FF string this along for as long as they can and when will the GP want to rush it to push it off a cliff. This is a competitive timing strategy game for the schizo-muppernment. Two or three finanical deadlines need to coincide along with a few distracts, sports event or politico-gate or daily mail story "Jordan grows a brain and doubles IQ - doubles digits any day now".

5% by New Year
    40% by June 2011
    53% by New Year 2011
    2% by Easter 2012