Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest World Cup?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Greatest World Cup?

What do you rate as the greatest world cup in terms of quality of football, individual brilliance, drama, organisation, refereeing, facilities etc.
    I will plump for Mexico 86 for the following reasons:
    1- Since the expansion to 32 teams in 1998 the standard of football has noticeably declined and as such 2010, 2006, 2002 and 1998 have to be regarded as poor world cups and progressively poorer world cups won by progressively poorer teams.
    2- While USA 94 was a absolute masterclass in organisation and facilities there were a lot of poor games and games ruined by the excessive heat and humidity. An uncharachteristically boring Brazil edging out an even more boring Italy in the final.
    3- Italia 90 was possibly the most boring tournament in modern memory with excessively defensive play employed all around.
    4- Mexico 86 was the pinnacle of attacking football and got better as the tournament progressed. The quarter final between France and Brazil was rated by Pele as the greatest ever world cup match. The individual brilliance of Maradona will never be repeated. All of the quarter finalists were worthy winners.
    5- Spain 82 was a very very close second but for Zico's Brazil choking in the match with Italy. France blowing the semi-final with Germany also robbed us of a great winning team.
    6- The world cups under the 16 team format never really got going until the 60's as modern football as we know it didnt exist then as such pre-62 world cups cant be compared.
    7- The absurd refereeing in 62 and 66 made a mockery of those tournaments: Garrincha sent off in the 62 semi-final but allowed to play in the final and the comically biased hometown refereeing in 66.
    8- Mexico 1970 was a close 3rd as a sublime Brazil and nearly sublime England lit up the tournament. Alf Ramsey's decision to sub off Charlton and Peters against Germany robbed us of quite possibly the greatest final of them all. The drama of the later rounds was thrilling especially the semi-final between Germany and Italy.
    9- Germany 74 was a boring affair with few exciting games and no South American team on song. The Dutch caving in at the final hurdle a tragedy.
    10- Argentina 78 had lots of good football but far too much dodgy carry on and another Dutch self destruct in the final.

Love to hear what you think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In my opinion 1970,although I have a soft sport for any world cup from 1970-82.[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3yq2wSSXpE]YouTube - Brazil 1970 World Cup[/ame] just because you can see true football and real pride,long before the sportscar and the WAG became fashionable.Those were the days...

Also have a soft spot for Italia 90 since it was the first I remember and more importantly how solidly we performed in our first ever against the odds.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know which was the worst, 2010, the final in particular was quite bad - both sides were terrified and the Dutch were dirty - lacking imagination except through Robben.

- Since the expansion to 32 teams in 1998 the standard of football has noticeably declined and as such 2010, 2006, 2002 and 1998 have to be regarded as poor world cups and progressively poorer world cups won by progressively poorer teams.
    I think Zidane's skills rescued 2006 somewhat (even though he blew his top in the final) - all in all probably the most technically gifted player who ever lived, the three R's in the Brazil team that won 2002 also deserve a mention, especially the young and hungry Ronaldhino putting his dribbling and deadball skills on display.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In modern times, has to be US 94. Great tournament, many goals and many great games. The yanks know how to hold a tournament

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1966 of course*

*I jest, i jest.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd liked Spain 82.

It was the first WC where I really understood what was going on. It has some great matches too, and players: Zico, Eder, Socrates, Platini, Maradona, Rossi etc

Memories

The amazing goals scored by Brazil in the first round
    Alan Hansen colliding with his own player to let Russia in to win 2-1 and knock Scotland out
    Northern Ireland beating Spain 1-0
    Italy 3 Brazil 2 Quarter Final
    Germany 3 France 3 Semi Final

And my all time best memory is the look on Marco Tardelli's face when he scored in the final.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This world cup was ruined by teams playing all out defence against Spain, and looking for a lucky break

Politics.ie Member making waves's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For the sheer quality of football 1970 - although the German and Dutch teams of 1974 were class acts and who can forget the France V Germany semi-final in 1982.
    Separate Church and State

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Wink

Did'nt Ireland win the world cup in 1990

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Spain 82 was very special - it gave us one of the greatest games ever played

italy v brazil

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgRpRTbk1oo"]YouTube - Brazil v Italy 1982 World Cup - One of the greatest games (and commentaries) of all time[/ame]

and the greatest goal of any world cup

Eder (Brazil .v. Russia)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RB9ZeBvNXs"]YouTube - Ofutebol.com - Eder[/ame]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast