Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 110,000 families in 'serious arrears' on their power bills

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 110,000 families in 'serious arrears' on their power bills

The Green sleaze ball party, Minister for Energy, Wingnut O'Lunacy A.K.A. Eamo' Ryan
    thinks its an excellent idea to increase fuel prices, hurt the poor and induce hypothermia in the old this coming winter by the Greens stealth taxes of an energy levy

I think they should be told to get stuffed, as they will in the next election

How do we force the stealth tax from being implemented?

110,000 families in 'serious arrears' on their utility bills
    By Treacy Hogan and Ralph Riegel

Thursday September 23 2010

MORE than 110,000 families and individuals who ran up huge arrears on their electricity and gas bills over the past nine months had to sign up to special repayment plans to avoid being cut off.
    "On average, Bord Gais is now disconnecting 230 homes per month from gas supplies -- and the majority of cases involve people in privately owned homes.
    In contrast, the ESB is now disconnecting an average of 900 Irish homes each month -- roughly 30 homes a day -- for the non-payment of electricity bills.
    Charities including St Vincent de Paul, Simon and Threshold are now deeply worried that the numbers of Irish families sinking into 'energy poverty' will spiral over the winter months.

Age Action warned that pensioners were exceptionally vulnerable to such energy poverty, being extremely reliant on heat over the winter months. "

110,000 families in 'serious arrears' on their utility bills - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So roughly 10% of the households in the country are having trouble paying what is on average a €600 a year bill. There must be some serious poverty out there

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is it true that the ESB had to increase their prices in order to make it profitable for private competitors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by new jewell View Post
    Is it true that the ESB had to increase their prices in order to make it profitable for private competitors.
    very true
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    So roughly 10% of the households in the country are having trouble paying what is on average a €600 a year bill. There must be some serious poverty out there
    iam led to believe that a lot of the properties been disconnected are empty houses and empty shops
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by new jewell View Post
    Yes.

Pretty much everything this Govt does has the effect of artificially raising prices in every single corner of the economy. And all these corrupt supports to allow vested interests to profiteer on the backs of the people actually make up a huge chunk of Govt spending - and thus the deficit.

A competent new Govt could dismantle all these sly supports for high prices overnight, the cost of living would dramatically fall, and then they could reduce the welfare rates, by a percentage a bit less than the percentage fall in living costs, and thus further reduce the budget deficit while actually leaving people better off in real terms.

People find that one hard to get their heads around. Say you have €100 a week coming in, and the cost of just getting by is also €100 because everything is so damn expensive in Ireland. Life is a constant grim struggle. Say then the cost of living falls to €60 a week. And your €100 wage then gets cut to €75. The instinctive reaction is "Oh no! Yer not taking any of my money!". But.

All of a sudden instead of constantly barely making ends meet you are getting in less, but you suddenly have €15 a week to play with, save, buy things you need, put towards education, whatever you want really. Life isn't a struggle any more and you can start planning for a better future.

FF are obsessed with protecting vested interests and keeping all prices as high as possible, imagining that high prices means wealth. But this mindset is actually just plain stupid really. Low stable prices are far better for everyone.

Politics.ie Member Ethan Edwards's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    What bill is on avaerage €600 a year, because if you are talking about gas or electricity I had one 2 month gas bill last winter during the coldest spell that was close to that figure and so did a lot of other people. Joe Duffy had 2 shows full of callers ringing in with huge bills that made mine look like small fry! and before I am accused of wasting energy my house is 12 years old and I had the Insulation doubled 6 years ago to more than building reg's standard.
    Explain that one to me and I will buy you pint!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So let me get this straight.The ESB where providing us with cheaper electricity,employing thousands of people on good wages and paying the government a dividend.But then the privateers come along and tell us our electricity is too expensive too much waste and all overpaid.Competition is needed they say but in order for them to compete prices have to rise.Its amazing how anybody (worker) on a good wage is being made the enemy, instead of what we should all be trying to attain.

the greens aren't about green there about privatisation, greens=pds
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For anyone who cant afford heating and fuel the government will help you soon with an amazing

€20 per week. (providing your long term unemployed)

WOW I hear you all say!

However there is no mention of the new extra help the Greens promised when they introduced the new carbon tax on fuel.

THE GOVERNMENT failed to introduce a promised vouched fuel allowance scheme to offset the carbon levy which comes into effect on May 1st, Labour leader Eamon Gilmore claimed in the Dáil yesterday.
    He said pensioners and low-income households faced a “double whammy this weekend” with the winter fuel allowance scheme ending on April 30th and a new carbon levy coming into effect on May 1st.
    The carbon levy, announced in the budget, would increase the cost of heating oil by 8.7 per cent, the Labour leader said, and the price of oil had risen by 37 per cent in the last year.

The Minister for Finance promised at the time there would be a system of fuel allowances for low-income families affected by the introduction of the carbon levy, but the Government has not done anything to bring in this allowance, Mr Gilmore said.
    Government broke promise on fuel allowance, Gilmore claims - The Irish Times - Wed, Apr 28, 2010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast