Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 177 quangos to be scrapped in UK-Ireland to follow suit?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 177 quangos to be scrapped in UK-Ireland to follow suit?

See AFP: Coalition govt 'to axe 177 quangos'

The Irish Bertie-led government copied the UK Labour government in the frenetic creation of quangos which proved useful sources of "Jobs for the boys".

Now that the new UK government is scrapping a large proportion of quangos,can we expect the Irish government to follow suit?

Biggest cuts: 50 bodies associated with the Department of the Environment,Food and Rural Affairs and 30 associated with the Department of Health,though many of the latter may be reintegrated with the Department.

In principle,quangos were supposed to operate with greater flexibility than the civil service,freed from rigid civil service rules about recruitment and pay. In practice,creation of quangos often degenerated into an exercise of creating "jobs for the boys" and sinecures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 years posters have been going on about this here, ff will only get rid of quangos when the people are starving on the streets.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not a snowballs. How would all the FG, Labour, etcetera footsoldiers be rewarded? No, sir, nobody is gonna take their divine right to snout at the trough after so many years foraging in the wilderness

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Cynicus View Post
    Not a snowballs. How would all the FG, Labour, etcetera footsoldiers be rewarded? No, sir, nobody is gonna take their divine right to snout at the trough after so many years foraging in the wilderness
    I dont agree at all. I'll lay big odds that Gilmore will go after them with a hatchet. Its the most acceptable way to reduce public service numbers, without actually removing anyone who actually does some work. There are hundreds of the useless organisations, with boards, and weekly meetings, and massive expences, when the work could have been done by 3 civil servants and a phone. I know of one - the Office of Tobacco Control, which was set up to over see the various smoking bans. Why? Some existing civil servants or HSE employees could have done it, without the big consultant wages and all that bo**ox. Of course, there were a few public servants "seconded " there, because they knew how these things worked, and then they hired people like a "staff resources consultant", when of course, the Dept of Health salaries section could have done it in 10 mins. And the clincher - there are more people on the board (appointed by guess who), than actually work in the offices doing something. They will be flushed out like a digestive bug.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonpartyboy View Post
    3 years posters have been going on about this here, ff will only get rid of quangos when the people are starving on the streets.
    Nonsense! FF would set up a quango to look into the causes of the starvation and maybe another one to manage the problem.

That, of course, is just what should be done when faced with a difficult problem like that - once the quangos have written their reports and the Minister considered whether or not to act on their recommendations, the government will be all set to deal with the problem... in around 15 years time or so.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redger View Post
    I dont agree at all. I'll lay big odds that Gilmore will go after them with a hatchet. Its the most acceptable way to reduce public service numbers, without actually removing anyone who actually does some work. There are hundreds of the useless organisations, with boards, and weekly meetings, and massive expences, when the work could have been done by 3 civil servants and a phone. I know of one - the Office of Tobacco Control, which was set up to over see the various smoking bans. Why? Some existing civil servants or HSE employees could have done it, without the big consultant wages and all that bo**ox. Of course, there were a few public servants "seconded " there, because they knew how these things worked, and then they hired people like a "staff resources consultant", when of course, the Dept of Health salaries section could have done it in 10 mins. And the clincher - there are more people on the board (appointed by guess who), than actually work in the offices doing something. They will be flushed out like a digestive bug.
    Here's hoping.

Head due East from Labrador, stop when you see cliffs.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

GAWD - YOU GOTTA BE RIGHT, YOU JUST GOTTA BE RIGHT - THIS SHlT IS SUCKING THE MARROW FROM OUR COUNTRY'S BONES...
    'BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE THAT MATTER DON'T MIND; AND THOSE THAT MIND DON'T MATTER...'

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll lay big odds that Gilmore will go after them with a hatchet.
    What kind of odds are you giving, as a matter of interest?

Politics.ie Member slippy wicket's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah right, like Gilmore is going to piss off his union masters. There is no chance that he is going to annoy the civil service, he did not even have the bottle to give his opinion on the Croke park deal.
    Hopefully that will die a death before the budget, so that those of us in the productive economy do not have our wallets raped anymore.

There's a thread on irish quangos here
    in case ya missed

http://www.politics.ie/political-ref...c-ireland.html

If you hate quangos then fine gael are the party to vote for
    heres their Policy Statement by
    Leo Varadkar TD from 2008

http://www.finegael.org/upload/file/...govt%20web.pdf

The most damning information to come from the thread is this
    Apparently half of all our quango appointments are made by ministers. Of the 5916 appointments 2604 were made by ministers
    Think Bertie Ahern appointing Ivor calley to the senate and X 2604

Whichever party gets in next they need to do the following

1: Cut and intergate the quangos back into the govt as necessary
    2: All Fianna fail/green quango minister appointees which survive cuts should have to re-apply for their jobs, Those found to be there as a result of corruption or cronyism should lose it.
    3: The power of ministers to appoint to quangos should be stopped
    They should only have the right to give referance to someone.
    Appointees to future Govt/quango posts should be based on merit only.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast